WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have heard it again and it sure is not the first time. Someone sends their Rolex to RSC for service and they confiscate it and won't return it because they say it is on a stolen list. Does anyone know anybody this has happened to? I know Rolex does not return the old parts they replace but this just stretches the imagination. What if you live in North Carolina and send it to Dallas. What gives them the right to keep it, and than what are they going to do? If this true, how are you supposed to check a watch bought privately?

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
And it's not just Rolex, I believe Omega, Breitling and many others do the same. In fact, I do believe in many states if the product was reported stolen on a police report, and is verified as such they do not have any choice but to engage the authorities. So this may not be a 'Rolex policy', but compliance with laws. I'm sure Rolex (and the other brands) aren't keeping them but instead forwarding to the appropriate law enforcement office who reported it stolen.

And on the flip side of the coin, if your watch was stolen from you, you reported it stolen, eventually someone submitted it for servicing and it's at Rolex and they know it was stolen, wouldn't you want them to contact the authorities so they can return it? I realize it's possible for a pre-owned buyer to get into this unknowingly, but that's one of the risks of buying pr-eowned. if you want a guarantee it's not stolen, you need to buy new from an AD. Otherwise that's one of the risks with pre-owned and why it's critical to always 1) buy the seller and 2) if it's too good to be true it usually is.

BTW, they'll do the same with any part that's a fake or counterfeit. Ex., if you have a fake dial on a watch they will keep it and bill you for a new one. If you don't want to pay for the new one, they'll still keep the dial. If the whole watch is fake, they'll keep that. And they have the right as the product is an illegal counterfeit product.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I'm sure they turn it over to the appropriate authorities to get to the proper owner (and allow the authorities to investigate the person who submitted it to see if they were involved in it's theft). After all, Rolex has no more right to keep it than the thief, ill-gotten or deceived buyer "owner" does. It belongs to the original consumer who reported it stolen (or their insurance company if it was a covered loss).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.