WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rolex updated the Datejust and GMT II with newer cases, etc., last year. My question is: do you notice whether the new design is more comfortable for you versus the older case styles? I am wondering primarily because if I decide soon to get something, I am wondering if I should give priority to those models which are already updated and wait on those which aren't? For those who have tried both, what would you recommend? Does it matter much? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I understand your intention and while there very well maybe an update to some models, including the TT Sub I just bought, I didn't let it stop me from owning the watch i had been coveting for years. Because the truth is no one really knows what Rolex is going to change, or when they are going to change it. Once a change happens there will be as many people trying to get older models as there will be trying to get the updated versions IMHO, so it it turns out you want to flip it for the new one then you'll most likely have that opportunity. Again this is JMHO

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand your intention and while there very well maybe an update to some models, including the TT Sub I just bought, I didn't let it stop me from owning the watch i had been coveting for years. Because the truth is no one really knows what Rolex is going to change, or when they are going to change it. Once a change happens there will be as many people trying to get older models as there will be trying to get the updated versions IMHO, so it it turns out you want to flip it for the new one then you'll most likely have that opportunity. Again this is JMHO
Thank you. I agree that none of us know when this update will happen. But you did bring up a great idea I hadn't thought about: when the new model is introduced, there will likely be an increase in demand for the older version and that would allow me to flip it if i wanted to. Usually I hold onto my watches, which is probably why I didn't consider this option, but I definitely like your idea.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well, I guess that's a bit subjective. I have the GMT in both the 16710 and 116710. Both are comfortable watches, but certainly the 116710 is heavier, and the solid link bracelet feels different.

I would base the decision on whether I liked the "upgrades" or not---maxi-dial, ceramic bezel, clasp, etc.... I find the maxi dial to be better in less than ideal conditions and the new hairspring in the 3186 movement is a big improvement in accuracy and consistency in mine (admittedly only one example).

If I had to pick, the new version would be my choice hands down.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess that's a bit subjective. I have the GMT in both the 16710 and 116710. Both are comfortable watches, but certainly the 116710 is heavier, and the solid link bracelet feels different.

I would base the decision on whether I liked the "upgrades" or not---maxi-dial, ceramic bezel, clasp, etc.... I find the maxi dial to be better in less than ideal conditions and the new hairspring in the 3186 movement is a big improvement in accuracy and consistency in mine (admittedly only one example).

If I had to pick, the new version would be my choice hands down.
This is the way I have been leaning, so I think I will adjust the order I buy the watches in. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Rolex updated the Datejust and GMT II with newer cases, etc., last year. My question is: do you notice whether the new design is more comfortable for you versus the older case styles? I am wondering primarily because if I decide soon to get something, I am wondering if I should give priority to those models which are already updated and wait on those which aren't? For those who have tried both, what would you recommend? Does it matter much? Thanks.

Actually these updates started rolling out with the DJ 4 years ago, and with the GMT II about three years ago.

In terms of the DJ, there are a few updated examples I like, but overall I prefer the previous generation as it's dressier. In the case of the GMTII I really don't understand why the colored bezel versions were discontinued as they are so different from the ceramic bezel versions. There's definitely things to like about both IMHO.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, so far Rolex hasn't reproduced the colored bezels for the GMT II models, I am not sure why either because they seemed to be popular and it makes sense that you would differentiate the dial by using different colors for day and night on a GMT watch. But I do really like the Maxi dial on the LV Submariner, for example. My focus for a long time has been on the Submariner, but I am thinking of switching priorities to the GMT II or Datejust now. Thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts