WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think I'd work on watches as much as I do now. I find more of a need for an ultrasonic cleaner everytime I pop a case back on my Accutrons. Mostly just the gear train and index wheel need the attention, but I'd probably end up using it on other parts as well. Can somebody guide me on which ultrasonic cleaners to look at. I've seen them at prices as low as $40, but I fear that these will not last very long or not clean as well as a nicer one. I'm looking to use it about 1-2 times/week.

Let me know your thoughts, opinions, and recommendations

Thanks
-Johnny

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you do decide to clean the Accutron you'll need to remove the index and pawl jewels before putting the movement pieces in a cleaning machine. Also it's very easy to damage the index wheel if your not careful. You have to handle the index wheel by the shaft only touching the wheel will damage it, plus if you don't have a microscope you can't phase the watch properly. There are very complicated procedures you have go through to service an Accutron.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The machines I use are professional grade watch cleaning machines that cost upwards of 12,000.00 dollars. They are automatic and go through 5 cycles from cleaning to rinsing and then drying. We also use cleaning solutions made specifically for watches about 40 dollars a gallon. As blue was saying accutron watches may look simple but are anything but. The accutron watch is made to be completely dissasembled for cleaning properly you have the running gear side and the calendar and hand side as in most watches it should all be cleaned at the same time not just one side or the other. The Index wheel must be handled with the utmost care handled by the post never by the flat toothed part. That little wheel has 360 teeth etched on by a secret process known only to Bulova and once damaged is useless. So unless you really know what you're doing Accutrons shouldn't be messed with. Plus these parts haven't been made in many years and old stock supplies won't last forever. You have to use cleaning and rinsing solutions to do it properly. A basic ultrasonic cleaner for doing jewelry will work just make sure you use both solutions. A decent one will cost between 3 and 5 hundred dollars and will last quite some time and should be rebuildable down the line. Hope I didn't give you too much grief with this post. Rik

1 - 3 of 3 Posts