WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My greatest hobby and interest in life is sailing. This is why for my next birthday (and it is an important one!) I would like to purchase a watch from a brand that is strongly connected to sailing or nautical activities. The only other feature about the watch that is a must is a large face :).

So far I have found and absolutely love the Hublot Big Bang, however it costs over double of what I'd like to spend...

So what ideas have you got that may fit into my above criteria :)?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The watch you named seems to me, based on some quick research, to sell from about 10-25 grand and more.

Are you willing to spend 5-12 grand for a sailing watch?

You can buy a Yachtmaster in that price range, I'm pretty sure.

Suunto makes watches, albeit quartz digital, designed specifically for navigation that sell for under $500 and so do others.

Invicta sells watches that are suggestive of the Hublot you mentioned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my price range is around $5k, maybe slightly more...

I should have probably also mentioned that the watch is not intended to aid with any navigation out at sea, it should simply have some sort of nautical history/design basis.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Are you looking for a watch that is just marketed to sailing, one with nautical tradition, or one with regatta countdown features?

Watches marketed to sailor run from styling themed anchors and sails to watches with the brands of sailing equipment or sponsorship. There don't pretend to be serious sailing tools, they are just a "look". Rolex's Yacht-Master is a respectable example of this in that it is a solid and dependable timepiece with excellent pedigree (but it doesn't help you sail).

Watches with nautical tradition tend to come from makers with nautical traditions. Ulysses Nardin and Hamilton both produced extremely well crafted navigation grade chronometers for sailing. Remember, the main reason for horological study in timekeeping was for sailors to determine their longitude. UN's wristwatches trade on this history. Hamilton made the world's most famous sailing chronometer for the US gov't during wartime. There are many manufacturers that have historical traditions in sailing and navagation.

If you race, then a watch with regatta features is probably desirable for you. Rolex's Yacht-Master II is notable for having "programmable" countdowns and whatnot for regattas. It is interesting, but only available in gold at the moment for about the same as your Hublot. Possibly they will make a stainless steel version this year if you can wait. Omega's Seamaster NZL-32 is another interesting offering in this respect.

Cheers and good searching!

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Check the December issue of WatchTime magazine, it has a spread on nautical watches, including a really cool Sector that is way below the top end of your budget but is a good quality watch. JMO

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Corum Admirals Cup Challenge 44, or Admirals Cup Tides 48. Both seriously nautically themed. The tides 48 has a modified VJ7750 that measures tides. Both between 5-6,000 dollars.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Suunto and TNG make some practical sailing watches..

But, I would go for the Breitling SuperOcean...:thumbup1:

Introduced in 1957 and a favorite for Navy Seals for years..

:cool1:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the suggestions so far :). I will have a look through all the mentioned watches so far:

Rolex's Yacht-Master
Ulysses Nardin
Hamilton
Corum Admirals Cup Challenge 44
Corum Admirals Cup Tides 48

Just to reiterate what I am looking for and to answer bullandvodka's question; I am looking for a watch which has a nautical tradition/history. Something like the Hublot fascinates me because of its design, name which means 'porthole' in french, and it does of course sponsor many regattas...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would definitely add the Omega Seamaster NZL-32 Chronograph to your list of things to research. This is a serious yachting watch offering great quality - Hey! it's an Omega :thumbup1: - great styling and it's in your price range.

Just my opinion, but a lot of "yachting" watches have a bit of a "circus clown" look to them (see Corum or Rolex YMII) as far as styling goes, but I've seen the Omega in person and it's quality, style, prestige and class all in one. This one should be at the top of your list.

Here it is:
http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=991&details=1&ref=25133000&no_cache=1

-Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts