WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Timex T2N289 SL Series Annual Calendar Automatic watch was the first auto I bought. I had just joined here and one of the first things I gleamed from the WTF's collective wisdom was that automatic=good, quartz=not as good.

Additionally, I was still in the I'm not going to spend more than $100 phase (I shot passed that quite quickly:biggrin:) So, here in this Timex, I thought I had all things good. Year, month, day, date, and what I thought was a moonphase.

The problem with this watch is that it turned out to be just plan ugly and its design was deficient.

The dark bezel gives way to an almost black dial. The watch is so dark that that the "moonphase" is near invisible. So aesthetically, is is displeasing. :scared:

Then, the mechanics of the watch kick in. The year and month displays aren't powered by the movement. You have to physically advance them by pressing in a button with a pen. While I can read the 24 hour dial, the day and date dials are so small, that I can't read them. While my vision isn't great, this is the only watch on which I can't read dials. Plus, the "moonphase" just turned out to be a sun/moon indicator, aka, day and night.

Of course, since I purchased this watch, I've learned a lot from you guys, enough so that I would never again buy the ugliest watch ever made:lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have yet to buy a watch I find unpleasant to my optical sensors. But then I buy watches based on whether they appeal to me and whether or not I can afford them. I won't buy quartz though. (However, I may make an exception for a nice G Shock)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I dont have a picture but in Highschool I fell prey to the fashion watch bug, and bought an ugly brown Kenneth Cole watch. I wore it for like two years straight and thought it was amazing, sadly it was not. I still have it (not working of course) and I look at it occasionally.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Darn! I just threw out my drawer watches. I had 2 "fashion" quartz watches. One had a broken crystal that I had fixed with super glue and continued to wear until it gave up the ghost. It would have been perfect for this post! I knew I shouldn't thrown them out! See, even old dead ugly quartz watches can have a purpose! Never throw away a watch.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I had 3 attempts at getting one of the G-Shock things working but it was forever crapping out. I'll never buy another again.

so much money for such a poorly designed case.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Remove the screws and make the center patterned portion of that dial silver with black accents on that Timex and it would be much nicer looking piece.

I've only bought ugly watches for parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.