WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can explain the different model swiss movements. Also, I am under the impression that there are many watches and watch brands that use the same exact swiss movements. (which is the most common?) If there are links for the internet for explainations or information on the different swiss movements, that would also be a bid help. I have quickly become very interested in this (and watches in general) but unfortunately I don't have the time to really do some quality research. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
. . . . . . . I have quickly become very interested in this (and watches in general) but unfortunately I don't have the time to really do some quality research. . . . . . . . . .
Dat could be da problem going forward . . . . .

sm iiH!

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
First, try our Horology 101 sticky http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/22496.htm and see if that answers any of your questions, then we can go from there.

Your impression of "many watches- 1 movement" is spot on correct. Why mess with success?
Two of the most popular movements by far is the ETA 2824-2 and the 2836-2. They're your basic center mounted sweep second hand and date window movements. There are a couple others, but these are the only ones I have memorized. For chronograph watches, the Valjoux 7750 (now called the ETA/Valjoux 7750) is very popular.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Supposedly, there is a bunch of info on the ETA website, but since the bums have made the thing the most un-iPad compatible in the universe, I haven't seen it.

ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse
tc, they took many of the files off their website. You might be able to blame me for that - I used direct links to some of the information on decoration when I wrote this:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/49600.htm

ETA disabled the links shortly after this was posted here and elsewhere. Luckily I had printed the .pdf files out. I scanned them and created / shared Google documents to replace the failed links.

J.5 - you'll probably enjoy the article as it talks in depth with specific examples of what you mentioned in your original post in this thread.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Da files are still der, you just have to be an actual customer with da account.

sm iiH!
Would the stiffmeister be an actual customer with an account? :confused1: And if so, could he download them and e-mail them via attachments to 'da focus'?

·
Administrator
1,047 Posts
First, try our Horology 101 sticky http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/22496.htm and see if that answers any of your questions, then we can go from there.

Your impression of "many watches- 1 movement" is spot on correct. Why mess with success?
Two of the most popular movements by far is the ETA 2824-2 and the 2836-2. They're your basic center mounted sweep second hand and date window movements. There are a couple others, but these are the only ones I have memorized. For chronograph watches, the Valjoux 7750 (now called the ETA/Valjoux 7750) is very popular.
Great info! I just did quick read as well :001_smile:

·
Registered
64 Posts
tc, they took many of the files off their website. You might be able to blame me for that - I used direct links to some of the information on decoration when I wrote this:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/49600.htm

ETA disabled the links shortly after this was posted here and elsewhere. Luckily I had printed the .pdf files out. I scanned them and created / shared Google documents to replace the failed links.

J.5 - you'll probably enjoy the article as it talks in depth with specific examples of what you mentioned in your original post in this thread.
The more time I spend on this site, the more I discover how little I know and the harder my bubble bursts.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Take a number and get in line...it starts WAY back there! :T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for all of your help, I will look into it and do some much needed reading! Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
another great source of movement info is the wrist watch annual book, in the back of the book they have pages and pages pages with all the movements that are used in most popular models, and what comapnies make what movements, or what companies make their own in house movements. It's a great source, or so it has been for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts