WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you have a shipwreck in your front yard.:eek:hmy: The hapless M.V.Tycoon slipped her moorings and ran aground, 500M from my front door. She broke her back last night and rested on the bottom, losing 100 tonnes of diesel into the surrounding Flying Fish Cove.

The smell of diesel is everywhere and my house stinks like a truck stop. The Navy rescued the crew yesterday, and the port won't be open for 3-6 months. I know this may sound un-important, but the supply ship, which was due today, can't moor and it is carrying the mail with a couple of new acquisitions.:crying:

I'd post photos but there are better ones on google (and i'm hopeless). Check Christmas Island shipwreck on google.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Condolences on your misfortune.
Hopefully your mail delivery will be restored in short order and any long term ecological impact be minimal.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Condolences on your misfortune.
Hopefully your mail delivery will be restored in short order and any long term ecological impact be minimal.
Thanks HS, I was talking to a guy today who is experienced in ship salvage and I was stunned by his take on the disaster. I never imagined what is involved in removing this wreck,just the cutting gear and gas runs into thousands of litres. One thing I didn't mention is our crab migration. There are millions of baby crabs out in the ocean waiting to come back to shore - - - in about 2 weeks. The little buggers will be decimated by all the crap in the water.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Went to Google and it sounds like a real tragedy and like it will be a while before your life returns to normal. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats just horrible news Brian. Hope they start to clean up the contamination soon.
Hello Daron, Things just get better. We now have heavy weather and the ship has broken up, spilling more fuel and crap along the beach. On the bright side it may make an excellant dive wreck. Every cloud has a silver lining:001_unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts