WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email welcoming Lum Tec to Watch Freeks as an official forum sponsor.
Does this mean we will have two official forums or is LT migrating?
Will one be a clone of the other in regards to postings?
I like WTF but since they started asking for $ for basic forum functions like avatars, sigs, emailing I am tempted to move.

I understand that WTF is a business and thus must make decisions that benefits itself but I have never paid to be part of a forum. What will end up eventually happening is that new forum postings from new authors will eventually dwindle down and all you will have left is basically a core group of authors.

The beauty IMHO of a forum is that it is an open discussion without financial censure. Sure, I enjoy the core contributors of this forum and look forward to their insights but I also enjoy new contributors and what they have to add.

just my 2 cents,

DrAnesthesiaTX

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
While I can see your point, Doc, I belong to several of the "free forums," including "Watch Freeks," the Turbo-Diesel Register, the Dodge Diesel Forums, Leatherworker.net, etc., and none of them has the depth of content this one does, with John's great product reviews, video content, etc. It's a little less than a dollar per month to participate in the patron program, and that seems reasonable for what we get in return. I think the little bit of $ that is generated by patronage helps defray the costs of his travel to various watch-related shows, events, etc. The costs associated with decent journalism are high, including gasoline, air tickets, rentals, etc. That's just my opinion, and I completely understand where you're coming from, since -- in some sense -- a forum is basically comprised of contributions from its membership; I completely get that, and I understand your point of view. Still, there are costs associated with providing the roof over us and keeping the lights on. :wink:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I agree with the good Doctor and will raise him or her 2 cents.

Forums should not be a profit driven enterprise. The internet was meant to be a community service for communication and the sponsors should take up the relatively small cost of the use of a server.

Since this forum is a two tier system of communication I would like to have posted the actual cost of this service.

It is my understanding that these costs are not substantial.

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Lum-Tec actually has three different watch forum communities they sponsor:

Lum Tec, LLC

They also sponsor several non-watch communities.

Ladd is quite correct in that the costs to bring the content WATCH TALK FORUMS has are quite substantial. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM or email.

Now let's return to discussing Lum-Tec watches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.