WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These new Monsters are carrying the Seiko 5 Sports lable.
It has the same smooth as silk bezel as the old models,
but a slightly more handsome face, the 7S36 replaces
the 7S26 movement with two extra jewels
(which doesn't mean much anyway), and a new bracelet.
Now why couldn't they have used the new 6R15? :tongue_smilie:

Pics courtesy of Long Island Watch

·
Registered
298 Posts
wow the dial almost has the bilevel look of the kinetic diver
yellow does it for me this watch makes my wrist hard...a little bit not sure about the black outline on the hands
hey long island watch where is that i live on LI
edit: found site the black looks more finished with the black day date

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would inquire with our sponsor Discount Watch Store;
They will beat any authorized seller's price and they support our forum! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
These watches really dwarfed the Monsters. I like their design and finish. Cant imagine what their lumes are like? It would have been great if they come with 6R15.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I like the original more than these.
I'm not crazy about the black case.:001_unsure:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I do like those watches; but, they would have to change two things:

1: The yellow model would have to go. I would be afraid of getting sunburn looking at the dial. ;)

2: The hour markers and hands are quite large. I prefer something a bit smaller; however, whereas it is a diver's watch, I can understand the ratio, as deep underwater, it may be more difficult to see.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Yes Sir Knight ...by now Seiko should be doing something about those old mov. me thinking....

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
KW....... Am I correct in assuming now that Seiko 5 is making non-folded link bracelets available? I've always loved the 5 series, but could'nt get past the folded links. Those sure appear to be solid in your photos.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
KW....... Am I correct in assuming now that Seiko 5 is making non-folded link bracelets available? I've always loved the 5 series, but could'nt get past the folded links. Those sure appear to be solid in your photos.
The Seiko 5 (although a great value even with folded links), always had solid links with their Seiko 5 SPORTS models.

Regular Seiko 5:
7S26 (21 jewels)
Folded link bracelet
Hardlex Crystal

Seiko 5 Sports:
7S36 (23 jewels)
Solid link bracelet
Sapphire crystal
*This model is the exception; it also has the Hardlex crystal.

I believe all real dive watches exclude sapphire because it is brittle and could shatter under pressure. :scared:

Timefinder, if you ever get the yellow version as a gift, don't even bother to post it in our sales forum; just give me a good price! I love yellow!!! :tongue_smilie::thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the info KW, I did not know that. I had a 5 series chronograph a couple of years back that I gave away. I just assumed the 5 sports were folded links as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nice! I like the texturing too....

Hey KW! kep up the good work!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi All:

I can't wait to receive this one! My second Seiko purchased ever. The last purchase was made almost 20 years ago, the one that looks similar to a 2-Tone Rolex Datejust...and it still runs like a champ! DHL confirms delivery on Tuesday. It's an early Christmas for me!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I believe all real dive watches exclude sapphire because it is brittle and could shatter under pressure. :scared:
This has always been the company line with Seiko regarding their divers. They always said that hardlex was preferable as it would flex under heavy pressure instead of cracking like sapphire would.

I don't believe this. Sapphire is superior in all respects at the proper thickness. Remember, Seiko is fanatical about producing every component of their watches in house and they won't outsource anything. My theory is that initially Seiko invested in hardlex because it was less costly to manufacture. While it is more easily scratched, it was a better fit for the market they were trying to serve (<$500).

When Seiko decided to move upmarket with their GS, Credor, and other high end lines, they knew they would need sapphire to be competitive. So they invested more recently in sapphire production. Sapphire is easy to produce in standard thickness needed for the dress watches however is much more difficult to produce in the larger thicknesses required for divers. Currently I surmise that Seiko's yields of thick, blemish free, and optically clear sapphire are low (making it more expensive as there is more waste). They will get this solved however as they invest more heavily and figure it out. The proof that they will switch to sapphire eventually in the more expensive models is in the sapphire equipped 600M papa-san.

My guess is that in the next 2 or 3 years they will get yields of the correct thickness higher and will brand their sapphire with a brand name. They will announce that their new sapphire is now suitable for the divers and will rev them to use it as they are refreshed.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
This has always been the company line with Seiko regarding their divers. They always said that hardlex was preferable as it would flex under heavy pressure instead of cracking like sapphire would.

I don't believe this. Sapphire is superior in all respects at the proper thickness. Remember, Seiko is fanatical about producing every component of their watches in house and they won't outsource anything. My theory is that initially Seiko invested in hardlex because it was less costly to manufacture. While it is more easily scratched, it was a better fit for the market they were trying to serve (<$500).

When Seiko decided to move upmarket with their GS, Credor, and other high end lines, they knew they would need sapphire to be competitive. So they invested more recently in sapphire production. Sapphire is easy to produce in standard thickness needed for the dress watches however is much more difficult to produce in the larger thicknesses required for divers. Currently I surmise that Seiko's yields of thick, blemish free, and optically clear sapphire are low (making it more expensive as there is more waste). They will get this solved however as they invest more heavily and figure it out. The proof that they will switch to sapphire eventually in the more expensive models is in the sapphire equipped 600M papa-san.

My guess is that in the next 2 or 3 years they will get yields of the correct thickness higher and will brand their sapphire with a brand name. They will announce that their new sapphire is now suitable for the divers and will rev them to use it as they are refreshed.

Just my $.02.
I steadfastly refused to bite the bait...:lol: but I have to agree with MrBullandVodka. Besides it maybe easier to break sapphire above sea level then under water in any case.:D

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
This new texturized bracelet trend is sweeping the industry. I'm not a fan. Bit too busy for me. First saw it on Invicta and Renato.

@gary: enjoy guy. I'm certain your watch will have superior fit and finish. congrats

1 - 20 of 26 Posts