WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I picked these two up. After some TLC they run very will. I did find some information on them, but anything you can add would be great.

The Elgin watch I found some good information.

Elgin Serial Number : C181254
Production Year : 1943
Size : 8/0s
Jewels : 15 jewels
Grade : 554
Model : 7
Run Quantity : 28000
Production Dates : 1940 to 1951
Total Grade Production : 1358000
Movement Configuration : Hunter Case (wristwatch)
Movement Setting : Pendant Wind and Set
Movement Finish : Flat/Matte Nickel Finish
Plate : 3/4 Plate
Barrel : Going Barrel
Adjusted : No

The EMCA watch was difficult to find information on. I'm not sure how accurate the information I have found is.

From what I can tell EMCA was a brand produced by the IOCO (Isidor Ollendorff Co., New York N.Y.)
Most likely around the same date as the Elgin late 30's - 40's
This company and Elgin had some kind of relationship they used some of the same or similar dials and bodies.
The movement is a Eska Watch Co. 17 Jewels.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Shep...
Look at the photo on the American Forum Masthead... does the case look familiar???
Yes they do look familiar I notice that, however I wish it was as nice of a movement like the American Forum Masthead watch

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'd guess the Elgin did not have the 'Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch Co'. I suspect it's a recase, especially given the font on the Elgin dial - in Elgin's font, the tail of the 'G' does not extend into the center. Look carefully at the G on this logo...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd guess the Elgin did not have the 'Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch Co'. I suspect it's a recase, especially given the font on the Elgin dial - in Elgin's font, the tail of the 'G' does not extend into the center. Look carefully at the G on this logo...

Thanks for your input, good stuff. This watch by the way was in a watch lot I purchase, and was just a bonus I found in the lot.

In the case there was not the words "Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch Co" there was only a hallmark with a diamond with a "E" within. This hallmark is on the front and back case. The back case has the words "stainless" and the front case has "10K GRP." So with this this information I agree it could be recased.

After you informed me of the "G" in the Elgin I did some research. It seems that this is true in watches produced during the mid 50's and after. Elgin company standardized on the font in the logo during that time period. However in the earlier watches there was a mix of the text, some watches had the "G" without a crossing of the center and some did have a very short cross.

Here is one from my collection. Produced in the 50's. I noted the watches display case has the "G" without a crossing of the center as well as the dial is the same. The case back on the inside does have the "Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch Co"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.