WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

How important is the Transparent Caseback?

• Crucial

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Important

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Nice to have

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Prefer without

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just wondered how important you feel this is on a watch? I am finding myself considering this more and more important in my enjoyment and choice of a watch. I'm almost religiously "anti-quartz" and find myself fascinated by the movements in a mechanical watch - so much so I have started to learn more and more about them (which was once for me a completely secondary consideration).

Because I am so interested in this now I feel that I need to see it. I consider it a thing of real beauty and want to watch it in action. More often than not I find myself now attracted to a watch because of it's transparent caseback (takes all sorts right?)

For example, somebody posted up the Omega Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich - I thought "Oh I want one of those" (pic below - not mine)

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Then someone showed me the movement on the Zenith El Primero Pilot - it made me want one of those too (pic below - not mine)

Watch Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Analog watch

How important is this to you guys?

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
How important is this to you guys?
Said this a few times recently: the movement IS the watch. The rest is just jewelery.

For example, this is a simple piece that some might even call boring:

The case is made of the highest grade white gold so that it doesn't require rhodium plating to appear "white". Great, huh? So what if the jewelery portion is a better grade? There are two things that make this watch.

1) It's a very uncommon reference, especially in white gold. (see this article: http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2005_05/WT_2005_05_128.pdf)

2) It's engine is the finest ultra-thin full rotor automatic ever made.

Now, if it had a display back that would be even cooler. When I bought the VC Malte Grande Classique, the dial was the primary selling point - but having the display back was the final clincher over the GO PanoReserve I was also considering.

Sorry to sound like I'm boasting, but if you could ever call a watch sexy, the Malte Grande is the one. Here's the old thread where I asked the members for their opinions:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/26272.htm

Note that Milos / WatchFan1's post (#7 on page 1) makes it a point to bring up the display back being make or break in the decision.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nice to see the innards when the movement is nicely finished. For the entry level and such, it isn't as pretty to look at so it is of minimal importance. If the watch offers it, and many do why opt for a closed caseback unless the watch is for diving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with you, lately I have become anti-Quartz do not know why but I like more the auto, mechanical and tourbillon more appealing and oh my the crystal back case should be a must for every one, I love to see the construction and the Rotor, also when the rotor is engraved by the brand it's a mega plus for me.
Now when I'm looking at a new watch and I know it's quartz it's a big turn off, also if its auto and the back isn't crystal is a bit disappointing but sometimes I can live without It.

Here is one of my 2 beaters not even bear as expensive as the ones you mentioned but still showcase

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
In my short time collecting watches, I've grown to understand why we collect and as a result have bought only automatic watches of late. The case back is important. If the movement is why you bought it, then it ought to be displayed.

Even in this cheap Stuhrling, there is a certain beauty in the exposed movement.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
There is much debate over this regarding the IWC Vintage Collection Ingenieur. Gave up the soft iron magnetic protection, but gained a display back ... Wow, really tough decision for me! On the one hand, giving up the heritage of what the watch was invented for, but on the other hand being able to see one of the only truly in-house IWC movements... Throw on top that the gorgeous blue dial version only comes with a solid caseback and the decision was very difficult.

Display back won. Pix soon.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
There is much debate over this regarding the IWC Vintage Collection Ingenieur. Gave up the soft iron magnetic protection, but gained a display back ... Wow, really tough decision for me! On the one hand, giving up the heritage of what the watch was invented for, but on the other hand being able to see one of the only truly in-house IWC movements... Throw on top that the gorgeous blue dial version only comes with a solid caseback and the decision was very difficult.
This = blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.

Display back won. Pix soon.
This = :thumbup1:

You're on the list of members who owe pictures. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
A display back is important to me, but not necessarily a deal breaker if it doesn't have one, especially if the movement isn't anything very special.

There are some watches where it would be a deal breaker though, like an IWC Portuguese Automatic. Half that reason I want one of these is for the gorgeous movement and the giant crystal on the back that shows it off. It would still be a nice watch with a solid back, but it would sure be a shame not to see that movement.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Metal casebacks are boring!

I want all my watches to have exhibition casebacks with sapphire crystals too! Any mechanical movement is more interesting than a metal cover. I was astounded when I first discovered it was an option. I've refused purchases that don't have them. I'm not a fan of skeleton faces (hard to read the time on them), but exhibition caseback is a must have option.

Watch Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Rim Fixture Auto part Font Machine
Watch Analog watch Camera accessory Watch accessory Font

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
I really don't care. They're certainly nice to have but if I see a watch I want (and can afford) I'm going to get it whether it has a display back or not. Besides- dealing with viintage watches from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, exhibition backs are basically non-existent so I'm used to it. Of my 60+ watches, only 3 have them.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I see by the poll results so far that I'm with the majority. I think it Important that a great mechanical movement is able to be seen. While not crucial, depending on the watch, I find it highly desirable. A good example of it not being crucial for me is the Seiko Brightz Phoenix (Japan market) watches they came out with a few years ago using either the 6S28 or 8R28 34-jewel column-wheel chronograph movements. Some of the earliest versions had a solid caseback, but that caseback was a work of art in itself for the way it was designed. With those, I would prefer the transparent caseback but not hesitate for a moment to purchase one with a solid caseback.

·
Registered
260 Posts
All else being equal, a display back is nice. But whether or not it has one has never had any bearing on whether I buy the watch.

It turns out that I generally wear the watch with the dial out, and the caseback against my wrist; the caseback generally isn't particularly easy to look at when I'm wearing the watch, and when I'm not wearing it, it's buried in my sock drawer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.