WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done a track day, but am thinking about trying one with by Subaru BRZ next year just for fun. I know a few here have taken their cars (daily drives and otherwise) to track days and would love to hear about your experiences.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Been attending track days for the past three years or so. I've gone through the drivers Ed portion, our local SCCA calls PDX, or performance driving experence. This is where you spend four or five track secesions on the track, with an instructor. These secessions are not timed. And the balence of the day is spent in the classroom discussing lines, and car control.

The past year plus, I've also raced TT-6 time trials. This is where you are released on the track and are racing others, but against the clock, not door to door. You are timed against your best lap. Quite fun really, I finished second in the championship last year for my class.

To prep, take everything out of your car, nothing can be loose in order to pass tech. You'll probably want to flush your brake lines before and after with a good brake fluid. I use ATE blue, but Motul is great too. Your tire pressure will change dramatically throughout the day, and tire pressure is very important, so bring a pressure gauge, I have a few dial type gauges, they are far better than the stick type. As your tires get hot, you will be letting pressure out, so when you are ready to drive home, they might be pretty low. You'll also use up about an eighth to a quarter of your tire life, as well as put them through a through heat cycle. You also might want to look at upgrading your brake pads. Street pads are formulated for low dust, low noise, and long life. None of these matter once on track.

I see a lot of first timers, some of whom have spent a great deal of money on go-fast bits, but their brakes fade once exposed to threshold braking. Saw a highly modified Trans-Am not be able to stop in the hot pits with the drivers foot on the floor, the brakes had faded so much.

Feel free to shoot me any questions on this subject as you think of them! Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.