WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I'm about to go nuts here and need some semi-biased help.

I'm about to scrape the funds together for the upcomming cc. I believe it'll be a killer watch and I'll make sure I'm one of the first to be on the list, when Bes or Chris announce the pre-order.

Now, ever since purchasing my first Panerai years ago, I was SOLD on big watches and I would NEVER, EVER be able to wear the small and tiny watches, I wore as a student (Seiko and Poljot) again, now that I knew what's right in terms of size. Heck, everything I ever bought after my first Panerai was AT LEAST 44mm and even up to 47mm, 'cause anything below 44mm would be a girl's watch anyway. Or so I thought...

...then, the other day while cleaning up the basement, I found my fake Seadweller, that I had bought many, many years ago on a bazar in the Republic of Turkey. Still ticking, still a nice watch - just covered in plaster and concrete from renovating the house and - alas - WAY too small with its tiny 40mm. I took a brush and some warm water to clean it up anyway, put it on the wrist and wore it for the rest of the day. Now, next morning, dressing up for work, putting some cuff links on my shirt and adding the M6 with the tungsten bracelett to the wrist. And then it hit me: Is this serious yet? - Such a huge watch for a shirt worn with cuff links? - On a 7" wrist (yeah, I know what the paneristi have to say about that - I'd like to know YOUR opinion)? Isn't it a little too loud / too much "up your face"?

Now, I'm 6'1, round about 160lbs, slim and sporty, so it's not like seeing a chihaua running around with a dog collar saying "Killer". But still... that old fake SD just looked kinda right size wise with that shirt... Of course I kept on the LT, 'cause it's WAY more masculine to wear 44mm of pure testeron instead of a fake SD with remains of plaster on it LOL.

So here comes the question: 40 or 44mm? - What are YOU going for and why.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
44mm, no question. Why, because I have 7 3/4 inch wrists and gorilla sized hands. I like big cases as anything smaller looks feminine on me. However at the end of the day, your decision.

Good luck.

SJL

·
Registered
618 Posts
"It depends" is, of course, the correct answer. Most of my watches are in the 44mm range, but my Grand Seiko Snowflake (41mm) looks great, and I tried on a gold JLC MUT (39mm) and that looked great, too.

FYI, my wrists are a bit over 8.5"

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My wrists are 7.5", but for me, 44mm is about the limit. 40-42mm are good sizes for dress watches under French cuffs. My Ocean7 LM-2 and Benarus Worldiver just look silly in any formal setting.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Have a range. If you already have a few larger watches, and have found it nice to be able to wear a smaller watch on occasions, then why not go with one?
I'm with Craig. My wrist is 7" and I have watches from 39mm to 45mm. 42mm fits me the best, but I like to wear larger watches too. If the plan is to wear it with cuffs I'd go 40mm. It will look better than the larger version IMO.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My wrist, 6.75. 42mm is a great size for me. My Submariner at 40 is fine, though feels small after wearing my V1 for a while. Under a cuff, the sub works better than the V1 and for formal occasions I put on my Cartier Tank Francaise, which feels really small, but is appropriate for the setting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys:thumbup1:

I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the 40mm after your input.

Thanks again,

Marc

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have a 7 1/2" wrist and find that 40-42mm size watches are best for me. A 44mm case is the top limit on size and I really feel that they are too big. I have a new Lum-Tec 300 M-1 (40mm case) on pre-order and can't wait as it will be my smallest L-T and I'm sure the best size for me. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've gotten used to the larger watches and think others look and feel too small. But today I have on my C1 which is only 38 millimeter with a linked stainless bracelet (18mm lugs). It looks very classy and appropriate with a dress shirt on. Now I wear it as much as my M24 when I go see clients. I'm really starting to appreciate it's understated simplicity.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm really starting to appreciate it's understated simplicity.
Very well said there! As I said, I'm HEAVILY leaning towards the 40mm - I actually don't think I'l change my mind back to 44mm again, besides I've still got the M6 and don't have any plans to let it go.

It has a different value to get a nice comment from someone who's into watches or has an eye for detail on a watch that isn't as eyecatching as a 44mm is on my 7" wrist, compared to the "oh, poor guy needs a bigger watch, so he doesn't have to wear glasses" look upon some peoples faces, when I wear the 47mm:biggrin:

Been lookin' at some wrist shots of Seadwellers, Seamasters and other classic watches in the 40-42mm range and that doesn't look girlie at all.

Cheers,

Marc

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a 7 1/4" wrist and I'm leaning toward the 300XL.

Although I prefer watches in the 40mm to 43mm size range, it appears, at least to me, that the bezel on the 300 series takes up a lot of real estate on the watch face, which will make it look/wear smaller.

I'm still debating the issue, though.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
209 Posts
42. I know that doesn't help, but 42mm would be perfect. I wear my 44mm watches around all the time, and I'm a big guy, but I've always felt that a slightly smaller size would be perfect. It's a shame there aren't many 42s around. Personally I feel that the giant watch style is a trend that will expire. It's not proportionally right to a well-trained eye. It will become a sign of our times. Go for 40.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
42. I know that doesn't help, but 42mm would be perfect. I wear my 44mm watches around all the time, and I'm a big guy, but I've always felt that a slightly smaller size would be perfect. It's a shame there aren't many 42s around. Personally I feel that the giant watch style is a trend that will expire. It's not proportionally right to a well-trained eye. It will become a sign of our times. Go for 40.
Hear, Hear, Charles! I can't wait to get my 40mm Lum-Tec 300 M1 on my wrist! Cheers, Bill P.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.