WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I made a video with my personal Top 100 Luxury Watches. I've put a lot of effort in this video (searching, editing, ranking and gathering fun facts about the watches). I am very curious about your opinion! Did I miss some really nice watches? I think it covers most great watches!

Let me know and I would really appreciate it if you want to leave a like or comment on the video :)

Really thanks!

WS

The 100 Best Luxury Watches

· Super Moderator
17,356 Posts
* Well for starters, that ''music'' made me want to puncture my eardrums by the time watch #50 rolled on by! Instead, I just watched the second half with the audio turned completely off.

* The only Rolex you seemed to not mention was the lowly Air-King, but you sure-as-tootin' made sure you got all the others! Which is a shame, since I consider Rolex to be an over-rated brand. (Sorry!)

* The MB&F Double chrono was just a horological abortion. If you look at a watch for 15 seconds without being able to read the time, that's the signpost of a badly designed watch.

* No mention of the Zenith Chronograph? Up until the new millenium, at which time Rolex started making its own chronograph movements, Rolex purchased Zenith's El Primero chronograph movements to put in their Cosmograph cases!

*Surprised your fancy wasn't tickled by anything from Breguet, Chopard, Eberhard, Alain Silberstein, Blancpain, Mondaine (official time-keeper of the Swiss railroad system), RGM, watchmaker Gerald Genta (Designer of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak) , Brietling, Dubey & Schaldenbrand or Doxa.

· Administrator
8,034 Posts
I tried to watch it and lasted for about 20 watches before I'd had enough of the music and shut it down. Most of these 'Top XX' lists are a bit of a joke and this one was no exception.

· Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
I'm with BunkerBoy. I shut it down pretty fast. BTW, I consider Rolex to be the ultimate fashion brand. Just a watch with precious metals and diamonds and prices that make no sense.

· Registered
24 Posts
Don't hate it just because it's popular. Rolex is a great watch with an outsized reputation and should be priced a few thousand less. If they were under the radar they'd be well loved, and more affordable too.

· Administrator
8,034 Posts
Don't hate it just because it's popular. Rolex is a great watch with an outsized reputation and should be priced a few thousand less. If they were under the radar they'd be well loved, and more affordable too.
I dont think C-H is saying he 'hates' Rolex, only that he thinks they're over-rated and as such over-priced.

· Registered
24 Posts
I dont think C-H is saying he 'hates' Rolex, only that he thinks they're over-rated and as such over-priced.
Absolutely, he thinks somewhat close to what I think. The post that got my reply was the following one.

...I consider Rolex to be the ultimate fashion brand. Just a watch with precious metals and diamonds...
Very few of them are made of gold or platinum, and fewer yet have diamonds. The best of Rolex is just as an everyday, durable watch, made of stainless and without the faceted bezel.

Lots of great watches in the world and Rolex actually is one of them too. Being overpriced doesn't change that.

· Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
Absolutely, he thinks somewhat close to what I think. The post that got my reply was the following one.
SFwatchGuy said:
...I consider Rolex to be the ultimate fashion brand. Just a watch with precious metals and diamonds...

Very few of them are made of gold or platinum, and fewer yet have diamonds. The best of Rolex is just as an everyday, durable watch, made of stainless and without the faceted bezel.

Lots of great watches in the world and Rolex actually is one of them too. Being overpriced doesn't change that.
We all have our opinions and mine hasn't changed in 40 years. It's amazing what can be accomplished with a targeted advertising campaign and strict control of product availability. And you left out the best part...the pricing makes no sense.

· Super Moderator
17,356 Posts
I guess you missed my last sentence...and there's still a lot more of them out there with no diamonds or precious metals.
Excuse my ignorance, but why was a basic stainless steel Submariner (without any gold) priced at roughly $5000 in 2010 now going for 2X to 3X that price:
(116610LN Rolex Submariner Date Black Dial Men's Watch (authenticwatches.com) ), when (except for the SafetyLock clasp and a ceramic rotating bezel) no discernably improved features are present. Thirteen thousand dollars for a sub is a bit hard for me to reconcile!

· Registered
24 Posts
Excuse my ignorance...
I'm not sure why you won't respond to me in a manner showing that you read my post.

You hate Rolex, good enough. Once again, there are relatively few of them made of precious metals and diamonds, as you initially stated. If you don't like them it should be sufficient to just say so without closing your statement with something so far from the mark.

· Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
First off, this thread is about 100 top luxury watches of all time and not the best watches.
Since I, SFwatchGuy not CometHunter, seem to have caused an up roar with my original statement,
"BTW, I consider Rolex to be the ultimate fashion brand. Just a watch with precious metals and diamonds and prices that make no sense."
Apparently painted with a brush too broad so I will amend.
"BTW, I consider Rolex to be the ultimate fashion brand. Just a watch, some with precious metals and diamonds, all with prices that make no sense."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.