WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry me again. I need opinions again please due to my total lack of knowledge.
I have come across this Bulova which I think is 1930`s. It seems to be in near mint condition which I think is unusual given its age. There are a few small marks on the dial which I could live with.The ebay seller is from the ukraine and has 100% feedback with 251 sales. He doesnt know the age of the watch and is asking $299.00 U.S. He has offered me $279.00 which I think is far too high. My gut feeling is around $200.00 but as I say I have very limited experience.
I have a feeling that this is not all it seems to be and something is not right. Perhaps I am being
an idiot. May I please ask your opinions please as at present I am not sure which way to choose. TIA. jack

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,389 Posts
That one looks like an early 1930's 'Sky King'. There are a half dozen of them currently on eBay and one that seems to be quite nice from a vendor in the Netherlands for a little less $$. I would want to see a good clear photo of the movement and the case back (inside & outside) regardless of what the watch looks like. I've attached the Bulova pre 1950 movement and case dating codes (courtesy of Watchophilia) to assist in determining the model year;
Colorfulness Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Font Rectangle Display device Screenshot Darkness

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mikey, Many thanks for the codes but my untrained eye cant find anything on the movement or case.
Were I to decide to purchase I would be offering around the $220.00. I shall have a look for the others you mention. As always thanks for your help. jack

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,389 Posts
Unfortunately those photos dont come clear enough for me to discern any of the markings. If you want to send me a private message with a link to the location of that watch, I'll see if i can give you some better answers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mikey, That really is most kind of you and hall send message as soon as I have found out how to do it. I am looking around the forum. jack

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mikey, Many thanks I got there eventually. Yes it does look very dirty inside the case and the deletion is suspicious. I told the seller that I am looking at other watches but if I decide upon his then I would not pay more than $200. He came straight back and jumped at it, thats a 50%reduction. Doesnt bode well so I am walking away.
The link you kindly supplied is very nice and I would have confidence in purchasing that watch.
The one watch I desperately want to get my hands on is a 1955 Bulove "President". There are a few about on ebay but most are in terrible condition. I have a nasty feeling that a near minter could be in the $300 to $500 range. I look daily on ebay and Etsy but nothing yet. I thought about an auction house but their prices seem a bit like Dick Turpin.
As always I am indebted to you for your knowlege, time and trouble. I may well have purchased that watch if left to my own devices. Thanks again, regards jack

·
Registered
207 Posts
Seems a strange way of going on you make the seller an offer which he accepts,, Then you change your mind ?.. I very much doubt that the seller will ever sell you anything in the future , AND if he has any sense will block you from eve bidding on his items again ,, MESSER is something that comes to mind

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tickswift, You are quick to judge and criticize without grasping the full circustances.
I did not make him a legally binding "offer". I told him that I was considering his watch together with two other but in the event that I decided upon his, I would only be prepared to pay $200. He indicated that in those circumstances he would accept $200. That is not an "offer" nor "acceptance thereof but an intention and it is a shame that you have not grasped that obvious fact. In your case there are many words that come to mind but each one is derogatory so I shall decline.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tickswift, You are quick to judge and criticize without grasping the full circustances.
I did not make him a legally binding "offer". I told him that I was considering his watch together with two other but in the event that I decided upon his, I would only be prepared to pay $200. He indicated that in those circumstances he would accept $200. That is not an "offer" nor "acceptance thereof but an intention and it is a shame that you have not grasped that obvious fact. In your case there are many words that come to mind but each one is derogatory so I shall decline.
you said you offered $200 now you seem to be playing with words . It is more of a shame that you seem to think it’s ok to make offers then with draw the offer , you need to read what you have written, in my opinion the sellers is lucky you back out the deal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.