WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is what seems to be a potentially nice WGF plain white Tonneau on eBay -- the number is 280774954533, it is a BIN for $129 with a best offer option. Be careful with this one!!

While the seller has a good rating, and shows 3 photos of what seems to be a complete watch including a back (shown from the side in photo #2). Her listing says clearly: "PLEASE LOOK AT PHOTOS PRIOR TO BIDDING, WHAT YOU SEE HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE" Above that his listing says "THE SS BACK IS MISSING AND YOU WILL NEED TO FIND ONE OFFERING THIS AS IS AND NO RETURNS"

Since I KNOW it is not SS (Stainless Steel), when I asked if the back was missing and what metal the watch is (solid or filled), I was told "not 100% sure of metal this has no back there seems to be some sort of color difference on the lug area at 7 if i had to speculate i would say white gold filledhope this helps sue"

I then wrote the following to her: "The middle photo SHOWS a back, so telling people to look close at the photos is rather worthless. LOL. If it is really missing, then it is worth no where near $129... maybe $50." Her response: "thanks but you know what they say about opinions, don't bid then".

My response: "True, but showing a back in a photo while not planning to ship it is just ASKING for problems and negative comments from the potential winner. I was just trying to help you avoid potential problems."

Obviously I will not be bidding, and I suggest that none of us do... or better yet, perhaps we should all offer her low ball bids if we need a running 987 or decent Tonneau dial? :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I saw it, too

I had to re-read it several times and I thought SS meant stainless steel also.

However, I think the photo is not showing the back, per se, but instead it may be showing the ridge from the middle section of the case that the back snaps over. At least that's what I concluded.

-chris

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
the vendor has pulled the watch.

Another blow struck for the greater good.

why didn't they simply list it as a parts watch? It would still have made a motza

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to re-read it several times and I thought SS meant stainless steel also.

However, I think the photo is not showing the back, per se, but instead it may be showing the ridge from the middle section of the case that the back snaps over. At least that's what I concluded.

-chris
You may be right! Thankfully the seller has ended the auction. It is always funny how some sellers immediately "circle the wagons" while trying to defraud.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
...... I do not now, nor will I ever understand..... cheats.......what did that vendor think ? that a back would magically appear while en route to it's buyer ?????? riiiiggghhhhtttt.......

......and cheats on ebay get found out ......:sneaky2:

....especially the vintage watch division, and most especially with Hamilton watches :biggrin: .......little do they know that over here lurks the most experienced people with minute and arcane knowledge about each and every model Hamilton ever put out in the old days .....

.......They duzzunt stand a chance .......:001_tt2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts