WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings (inaugural post)!

Have the pleasure of recently acquiring 2 Grand Seikos [Divers Spring Drive and HI Beat 36000]. My understanding is that when servicing required (the watches are new, so in 3-ish years time ) they must be returned to Japan/Seiko. Is there not a North American outlet capable? And what is the average cost/turnover time for such a service?

Thanks in advance.

NTP

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Greetings (inaugural post)!

Have the pleasure of recently acquiring 2 Grand Seikos [Divers Spring Drive and HI Beat 36000]. My understanding is that when servicing required (the watches are new, so in 3-ish years time ) they must be returned to Japan/Seiko. Is there not a North American outlet capable? And what is the average cost/turnover time for such a service?

Thanks in advance.

NTP
Hello NTP,

Welcome to our forum and congrats on your GS club membership. :biggrin: I am not familiar with current development in NA but yes, servicing high end JDM is best done in Japan.

From all that I have heard, the effort is a small price. Usually you get your watch back within a month or two looking like brand new. How about some eye candies? We love watch photos around here. :biggrin:

Cheers!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, NTP.

I agree with Bullosa.

I would add that, while Seiko recommends service approximately every three years, that seems to me to be a bit aggressive. My understanding is that lubricants these days last five years or so, so I plan to send mine back for service when they're about five years old. Figuring that there were perhaps 6 months between manufacture and my purchase, I'll send them in about 4-1/2 years after buying them.

YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Gents!

In respect of the service interval (particularly Hi Beat) what piqued my concern was the statement from the Instruction Sheet (downloadable from the Grand Seiko site) in the 'Notes on overhaul' section where it states the 'overhaul' be "2-3 years" and that "the first overhaul after purchase of your watch is particularly important for preserving the long-time use of your watch".

[Spring Drive Diver (according to manual) seems more forgiving at "3 to 4 years"...].

Also: Not to veer too much off topic...there is a 'CAUTION' in same Hi Beat Instructions that "Due to its wheel train mechanism, for setting the time of the mechanical watch correctly, the hands should be set back once slightly and then set back once slightly and then set forward to the correct time". What does "set back once slightly" mean?

Side note (another :)): This is my first foray into the world of mechanical watches (have a quartz TAG Professional 2000 that was worn on and off for 20 years) as treats to self after a fortunate year. Had planned on a Sinn Frankfurt Finance Center (based on pictures, admiration for brand) and then gave serious thought to a Bremont ALT1 (on a black leather band) based on 'buzz'. But when I had the opportunity to put both on my wrist, neither felt 'right'. 'Discovered' the Grand Seikos in London ...granted more money...and got hooked. Workmanship is exquisite, the fit (for me) is optimal -- better than an Omega that I also flirted with. Unfortunately, I'm not often in a suit so the Hi Beat is not getting as much exposure as it might otherwise...and the Diver is becoming the daily. But the Hi Beat has simple beauty that just 'is'. Profile is right for a dress watch, neither dainty nor SHOUTING (the Sinn and Bremonts, for instance, are 'too thick' IMHO). Is a Rolex any better? Think not (not the ones this side of $20,000 that I looked at).

Will have to post pics at some point (don't think Blackberry camera will do justice though!).

·
Registered
260 Posts
NTP,

Certainly you should service your watches at intervals that make you comfortable. I would add, however, that if you don't keep the Hi-Beat running all the time, then that (IMO) dictates in favor of closer to five years than two years.

But they're your fabulous watches, and please do what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Welcome aboard WTF forums NTP & Congrats on the Grand Seiko's

Grand Seiko's are higher tolerance build movements & while they may say service is required every 3 yrs, I think you would be fine at a 4 year average with continual useage IMO.

Congrats on those two fine watches & welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photos :)

Welcome and BTW can post any Pic's.:thumbup1:
With Pleasure! And apologies for the quality of shots (first kick ever).

There is picture with 3 watches: GS SpringDrive Diver, GS HiBeat, and a 3rd -- a tribute watch for the release of the Saab Turbo X. I was told that watch has a Japanese movement (quartz) but I don't see any 'Made in Japan' marker. Several magnitudes less expensive than its Brothers :). Nevertheless, it has sentimental meaning (and celebrates my personal ride!).

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice trio. The polishing on GS casing is just outstanding. :thumbup1:
The pictures (mine) do not do Justice. The quality of the polishing on the GS is the best I've ever seen (Rolex/Omega be ****ed :)) . As mentioned, I was set on a Sinn Frankfurt Financial Centre and when I put the watches side by side was no contest (actually it's the bracelet that gives the game away,even more -- hasten to add that I have a high respect for Sinn [at half the price too...] and from what I can see in their latest 'Financial District' watches [Basel 2012] they have done a great job).

It's not revealed by my pictures but I've acquired a small nick/scratch on the case base of the Diver (essentially my 'Daily' and despite my best efforts; HiBeat is brought out only when suit is donned...and that's not so often). I'm assured though that the Masters will be able to rectify that when it comes to 'Service Time' :).

·
Registered
49 Posts
GS service

I haven't sent any of my GSs back yet but I have sent a Credor Automatic Chronograph back for movement service. I used the service provided by Co-Serv so I shipped the watch there and then they took care of the rest. It took about 7 weeks from the time it got on the UPS truck to Co-Serv to the time I received it.

Typically, it should take less time but for my Credor, I asked for a new dial and they did not have it. That resulted in a 2-week delay.

Hope this help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The pictures (mine) do not do Justice. The quality of the polishing on the GS is the best I've ever seen (Rolex/Omega be ****ed :)) . As mentioned, I was set on a Sinn Frankfurt Financial Centre and when I put the watches side by side was no contest (actually it's the bracelet that gives the game away,even more -- hasten to add that I have a high respect for Sinn [at half the price too...] and from what I can see in their latest 'Financial District' watches [Basel 2012] they have done a great job).

It's not revealed by my pictures but I've acquired a small nick/scratch on the case base of the Diver (essentially my 'Daily' and despite my best efforts; HiBeat is brought out only when suit is donned...and that's not so often). I'm assured though that the Masters will be able to rectify that when it comes to 'Service Time' :).
I read, on another forum, an article about the company(perhaps Seiko owned) that makes the cases for the GS and Credor watches.
These cases are not simply cut from a block of forged steel. The masters at this company use the centuries old practice of folding steel that was used in making the various Samurai swords.
If I remember correctly, the steel has to be folded as many as 121 times! This process makes the steel far denser than unfolded steel and is the main reason that such a high state of polish can be achieved.

Next time you see 'it's just a Seiko' when referring to a GS; you can have a laugh, knowing what went into producing just the case, not to mention the precision hi-beat manual movement or the Spring-Drive movement :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts