WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have just inherited this Tissot watch.

IMG_6720.jpg IMG_6719.jpg

I have no idea of the model/likely value! Any experts out there that could shed any light?! :)

Many thanks,

JLW.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
You have a Tissot model called the Stylist. It is probably late 60s to mid 70s. I've seen ones in very good condition sell for a little under $150 on a site that is not eBay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have a Tissot model called the Stylist. It is probably late 60s to mid 70s. I've seen ones in very good condition sell for a little under $150 on a site that is not eBay.
Hi,

I have just found an old Tissot watch but I can't tell that is it a fake or a real one?!

Any expert out there that could help me? :)

Thanks

Sully

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's counterfeit. For some reason, the online market is absolutely teeming with fake Tissots.

* Look at the back of the case - specifically, the lettering around the edge. It is stamped, rather than engraved. Not something Tissot does.

*Notice how, at the bottom of the letters & numbers, the impression is heavy. As you go to the top of the letters the impression gets fainter. The stamping die did not hit the steel at a true 90-degree angle.

* Now compare the faded letters to the crispness of that "T" logo. That crispness is proof that the letters were not worn down by natural abrasion with the skin. [This a textbook example of poor counterfeiting.

* The quality of the case back steel is very poor compared to what Tissot uses.

* To the best of my knowlege Tissot never produced that particular dial design.

* To the best of my knowlege Tissot never honored historical timekeeping with dial illustrations (and a poor illustration as well!).

* Su Sung called it a Water Tower Clock - not a Water Wheel! Tissot would not have made that mistake.

* I'll bet you dollars against donuts there's a cheap south-east Asian movement inside that case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's counterfeit. For some reason, the online market is absolutely teeming with fake Tissots.

* Look at the back of the case - specifically, the lettering around the edge. It is stamped, rather than engraved. Not something Tissot does.

*Notice how, at the bottom of the letters & numbers, the impression is heavy. As you go to the top of the letters the impression gets fainter. The stamping die did not hit the steel at a true 90-degree angle.

* Now compare the faded letters to the crispness of that "T" logo. That crispness is proof that the letters were not worn down by natural abrasion with the skin. [This a textbook example of poor counterfeiting.

* The quality of the case back steel is very poor compared to what Tissot uses.

* To the best of my knowlege Tissot never produced that particular dial design.

* To the best of my knowlege Tissot never honored historical timekeeping with dial illustrations (and a poor illustration as well!).

* Su Sung called it a Water Tower Clock - not a Water Wheel! Tissot would not have made that mistake.

* I'll bet you dollars against donuts there's a cheap south-east Asian movement inside that case.

I thought that it's gonna be a fake one so luckily I did not buy it, just took some pictures.:)

Many thanks for your help CometHunter!

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
...................................:thumbup1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts