WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone?

......anyone.......Bueller?......Bueller?.......Bueller?:blink: Anyway, the ugly coating (that's what it is) on my Tissot Seastar is PVD, Physical Vapor Deposition which is supposed to be was tougher than any gold or rolled gold. It's commonly used on newer black watch bezels as well as bands, cases and bath fixtures. :huh:

Question: with regard to my watch. would it have been applied over a gold or gold filled surface or directly over the base metal? Where it has worn away, there appears to be exposed gold....or could it be bronze? See below.

PS: the BWR is there for color.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
PVD is a process, like electroplating - just a different method to achieve the same basic result. It's not a substance. The gold has worn away to expose the base metal. Was there black ever on the watch?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PVD is a process, like electroplating - just a different method to achieve the same basic result. It's not a substance. The gold has worn away to expose the base metal. Was there black ever on the watch?
Black? Not from this era unless it was a dial. PVD doesn't have to be black. So, it's your opinion that my Tissot had a gold PVD process over the base (bronze?) metal? That's my guess and Jack at IWW thinks so too based on those same photos. Compared to the BWR PW, it looks like a bad mall watch (here's where WTF needs a "vomiting" icon).

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
PVD doesn't have to be black.
Yes, I know - the color depends on what substance is used.

So, it's your opinion that my Tissot had a gold PVD process over the base (bronze?) metal?
The base is probably brass. The gold was plated and has worn off in the usual areas (lugs, case edges). Whether it was put on by electroplating or PVD is another story. Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was PVD?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I know - the color depends on what substance is used.

The base is probably brass. The gold was plated and has worn off in the usual areas (lugs, case edges). Whether it was put on by electroplating or PVD is another story. Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was PVD?
It's tougher than any gold filled item I've ever seen. Even minor scratches are very hard to buff out. Under magnification you can see scratches and other mayhem deep enough to have gone right through gold filled and, in fact, have projected into the base metal while the surface remained intact. It almost looks like a replate over scratches because the PVD layer didn't gouge. From what Jack at IWW said and what I've read on my own, the PVD process started showing up on watches in the mid to late 60's and color quality wasn't what it is today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts