WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure someome knows this off top of their head. How many Elgin 761s were produced?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I don't even know where to look to find out.

Elgin stopped using serial numbers 5 years before the 760/761 models were introduced, and stopped making movements in the US 4 years later, and closed down the factory. I don't even know if the production records still exist. I never found anything on Wayne Schlitt's site that would help pin down a number, and his site was the most informative Elgin site out there.

Sorry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't even know where to look to find out.

Elgin stopped using serial numbers 5 years before the 760/761 models were introduced, and stopped making movements in the US 4 years later, and closed down the factory. I don't even know if the production records still exist. I never found anything on Wayne Schlitt's site that would help pin down a number, and his site was the most informative Elgin site out there.

Sorry.
Thanks, that's pretty much all I've found too.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Welcome to the frustrations of collecting postwar Elgins! The lack of information is frequently maddening!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the frustrations of collecting postwar Elgins! The lack of information is frequently maddening!
Yeah, Elgin has a postwar history much like Packard.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
BUT, I have the pleasure of driving by the old (and FAMOUS) Packard Proving Grounds Building daily. :001_tt2: (Sadly the high-banked oval track has been destroyed in the last 5 years.)
That is sad........what did they put in the place? Such a shame pieces of history like that are lost, and after they held on for so long!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That is sad........what did they put in the place? Such a shame pieces of history like that are lost, and after they held on for so long!
PBS just ran a history piece on Packard. Packard: An American Classic Car . I think there are office condos where the high bank was, but the pagoda (timing tower) is listed as a histrical landmark. You can also tour what's left of the factory on YouTube.
Weird irony: When I was four years old, my dad bought a 1955 Packard 400 coupe in Elgin not far from the watch factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts