WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the time has come to make a thread on ''the making of'' pictures.
Below I numbered a few tips and tricks to make some nice pictures.
If anyone has something to add on this thread, please do so, we are all here to learn from each other..

Tips and tricks to make great Photo’s…

get a tripod, they are cheap and give great result
clean up your watches/objects before taking pictures ( if possible)
try working with daylight, it gives the best results
Use a light box against difficult light reflections, a white plastic bucket will do fine
If the light is no good, try white sheets of paper to capture ‘’more’’ light
Clear the background, remove all distracting objects
Try shooting from angles, then you have less reflections
If you are taking pictures of watches, make them smile, 10 past 10.
Make sure that your white balance setting on the camera matches that of the light source to avoid yellow or blue tint on the picture(if that feature is on your camera)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for starting this Thread!

And once you've cleared the background and gotten control of it, sometimes it's nice to get creative w/ adding distractions back into it! :blush:

Personally, I like to make my images a bit unique by not following the 10:10 convention (although I absolutely appreciate the reminder here). Some compositions and even watch face layouts can be more dynamically framed w/ hands in other positions.

I also hack more often than not, to place all three hands where I want them, and avoid second-hand blur.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts

that's true...sometimes 10 past 10 can obstruct some writing on the dial (like it does a little on Rolex watches.)

I try to separate the hands while show all writings on the dial.

This could be funny 'advice' to many of you, but you would be surprised that a lot of
owners of simple 'point and shoot cameras' do not even chose macro feature on their
camera and have no clue what the 'flower symbol' is all about :)

- Thanks for starting this thread G.J.....now that I finally got my first DSLR, I wished that some of you guys
with bad a$$ gear and experience would share your tips and tricks.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't focus

Hey, just started trying to take pics of my watches but I cannot get the camera to focus correctly. The pics are always fuzzy. It is a cheap digital (Kodak easy share) 7mp. I would appreciate any help. Tks

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
hey there Mr HG

:) the first thing I would suggest is read the manual and see what your minimum and maximum focus distances are for the macro function. and also to determine you have the camera in MACRO mode. then measure and make sure you're no closer and no farther away than allowed in macro.(from the camera body ,not the lens end) don't zoom in on macro.... if you don't have a tripod, turn the watch up on it's side and set the camera on the desk or table at the proper distance allowable. set the timer to go off automatically 5 or 10 secs just for fun.... press halfway down on the shutter and you should either get a green light and/or a beep saying it's focused, press all the way and let go and back away and make sure you're not blocking the light or end up as a reflection in the crystal. see how that works and try some more.

see how that does and ask more questions as you need, that's why we're here...
let us know how it goes,:thumbup1:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Personally, I like to make my images a bit unique by not following the 10:10 convention (although I absolutely appreciate the reminder here). Some compositions and even watch face layouts can be more dynamically framed w/ hands in other positions.
Mr Deaton I agree, for me I look at the dial, the position of the watch and things like the counter balance on the seconds hand ( Invicta wing) and position all of the hands where they "balance" everything and can still make the dial "smile", such as in this picture. I tried several different positions until everything fell into place. like I was explaining to a very accomplished professional who pretty much asked why I did it that way, thats the only place I could find to get everything just right.

and the dial still smiles, with the use of the second hand.

I was told (don't know if it's 100% fact) that years ago that Seiko usually posed the hands on their watches to 8:20 or so to show the dial the way they wanted and also to be different than the convention..:confused1:
maybe that's us too:thumbup:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am looking for a camera for taking watch pictures (as new to watches). Can any one suggest some good camera to serve the purpose under CAN $ 150

Jaswant Kamboj

·
Banned
3,656 Posts
Thanks your advice, just bought this:
PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FS15(K) DIGITAL CAMERA +8GB

can you elaborate on light box/white bucket

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
These are the very nice information given by you regarding taking the photo in the right direction.I have a hobby to taking a different kinds of pictures on different moments.I am interested in your tips of the photography.I also like the hints and I can easily follow them.From my point of view those are very effective in the great photography.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I learnt a lots of thing from your article this is very nice and very useful for me because I am new and beginner in this field.That's why its provides me a perfect information for the great picture captured from my camera.I think the steps are very sequencing and very helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice pictures of watches!Is it possible to take these photos from watch talk.can you suggest any idea and if any it would be appreciable.In general,we have the idea of photography is a art, science, and practice of creating pictures by recording radiation on a radiation-sensitive medium.Please continue this to view more details.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts