WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all see them, but let's share them. Let's share the worst re-dials you run across here. Here's one for starters. Not surprising, it's in the swamp. 120854664008

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Aw, geez! The dial was so horrific I didn't even notice they'd cut the loops. What a bunch of Maroons!

Speaking of them, BTW, here's another candidate for worst redial - 300658776385

They did one of their color jobs on a Lord Elgin DRAKE! Those babies have been selling for $100-250! I can see tarting up an otherwise not-especially-special watch, but when you can sell them in good condition for that much? :blink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aw, geez! The dial was so horrific I didn't even notice they'd cut the loops. What a bunch of Maroons!

Speaking of them, BTW, here's another candidate for worst redial - 300658776385

They did one of their color jobs on a Lord Elgin DRAKE! Those babies have been selling for $100-250! I can see tarting up an otherwise not-especially-special watch, but when you can sell them in good condition for that much? :blink:
Plus! It's Retro deco vintage! :sneaky2: These people really make me doubt evolution.

When people start turning vintage Elgins in something you'd see at a mall next to the Piercing Pagoda, it's time to take action. I say cut them down where the come from, just as the leave their dispersal pods. If we don't, they'll start making $79.00 Invictas that look like a BW Raymond, putting NATO straps on them and pronouncing them "minty". :scared:

Reactions: timeliz and salleh

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not an American...but this is my favorite redial. Somehow they turned Seamaster into Sealmaster...:biggrin:

Never needs service. Just give it a fish.

I have a friend who could hand print a library or hall pass in high school (normally typed and mimeographed) with a felt tipped pen. Even today at 62 he could do better than that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
redial

Looks like an old grammer school attempt to keep it between the lines learning cursive writing in the 2nd grade. I'd give him a B- for penmanship.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
oh it's perfectly respectable penmanship .....what it is, is a complete failure as a copy ...

maybe he was just too much of an individualist, ....couldn't bring himself to have HIS dial look like just everyone else's .:lol:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
We all see them, but let's share them. Let's share the worst re-dials you run across here. Here's one for starters. Not surprising, it's in the swamp. 120854664008
Regarding that particular one - the numerals, the marks and the sub-seconds track are actually correct, but 'Elgin' and 'DeLuxe' are the wrong font, and the colors are all wrong.

Here's what is SHOULD look like...

Note especially the G in 'Elgin'. Elgin's font from the 1930s till they closed in the 60s had a 'G' in which the upstroke at the bottom did not curl into the middle, as it does in most fonts.

It's an easy way to distinguish lousy redials:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These Folks Have Made An Industry Out Of It

Be sure to scroll down the page 260927362399 :lol:

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Yes, they have made an industry out of it! Here's the black sheep of my collection.

It turned out it's quite accurate and the lume is nicely bright. It's a shame they lumed the entire hour, minute, and sweep hand. I would have returned it but that would have cost more than what I paid for it. I'm almost embarrassed to wear it in public! :crying:

Reactions: RJ007
1 - 16 of 16 Posts