WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first Railroad- a model 218. It has been keeping almost perfect time-like loosing one second every two days. What the the members experience of time keeping with Railroads. Did accutron pick out special movements to put into these watches like some of the other watch makers like Hamilton etc., or did I just get lucky and get a good timekeeper. Is the Railroad special in any way other than the distinctive dial-easy to read white face, black numerals and bold black hands. I currently own 14 accutrons and none keep as good a time as the my Railroad. I would be interested your experience. Thanks

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
No, the RR model was nothing special. What was special was that Bulova had the 214 certified for accuracy with the railroads. IIRC, Bulova never actually had the 218 certified. You are just lucky that your RR is so accurate. While the Accutrons were generally capable of plus or minus 2 seconds/day, I'll bet most folks never experienced accuracy quite that good. We never did with our two original Accutrons. However, if you bugged the watchmaker to keep fine tuning your watch until it was within spec, you might have experienced the advertised accuracy. I regulate my Accutrons to improve accuracy but don't try to get them within spec as I don't have the equipment to do so. I do have an Accuquartz that was within 4 seconds after 5 months. I didn't regulate it to that degree - it came like that. More accurate than many Bulova Precisionists.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I own two Accutrons, a 1966 218, my dads watch, and a 1965 214. The 218 is better than + or - 1 second per day. The 214 is within 1 second per day when I wear it and about -2 seconds per day if it is dial up on the dresser. I did have to fuss with the 214 to get it to be that accurate. I just ordered a 2210 for my wife. Not sure what to expect from that one but it is NOS and I just couldn't pass it up. Maybe I have just been lucky. I think if Accutrons are in decent shape and serviced properly they can operate within original specs. I would be interested to here more experiences from those with many Accutrons.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
I am down to just (1) Accutron Railroad. Got it from Ludmil and its a N2 14kt Gold filled 2181. I absolutely love that watch. I put a nice Two tone JB Champion band on it and it runs like a champ. I had one M4 214 Railroad that I had serviced here in the US and it gave me fits all the time after servicing. Wasn't even working when I got it back from repair. Very disappointed in it so I traded it for a Power Transfer Switch. I have a couple New School Railroads also but only (1) accutron. Besides my 70's Mint Pulsar LED collection, the Railroads are my second more numerous collection (New & Old).

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have a number of Accutrons but I only keep batteries in 10 at a time for about a month at a time. I'm not a fanatic about accuracy, I just want them to keep my life on schedule, and they all do that without having to reset them during the month. Good enough for me.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Total accuracy is a bit over-rated I think. I mean it's hard to get that minute hand dead on the right spot in the first place! :blush:

But I understand it is relative. Once you set it you like to see how it goes. These things aren't atomic clocks.

I always find myself amused (bemused?) when I check the accuracy of my watches against the time on my mobile phone. :lol:

NONE of my 4 currently work, soon to be fixed, but when they did, my up/down 218 was spot on. Possibly because it lasted the longest before failing. Actually they were all really good. I don't own a 214 but want to.

I once took an Accutron into my local jeweller to see if he knew of them, he did but, didn't want to deal with it. At the end of the conversation I tried to engage him in he looked at me like I was a bit odd and said "you know Accutrons aren't as accurate as they made them out to be....there are newer watches that don't need work and keep better time". I nearly punched his lights out! :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.