WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had just enough Ostrich shin leather left to make Timbo a strap for his V7 hybrid.

I had two main goals for this strap: 1) Make it a lighter weight. 2) Add some padding up by the lugs.

I'm thinking that the proper way to add padding is to use a synthetic upholstery batting, but I don't have any. So, I substituted some 2oz leather that I had split, earlier, from black cowhide. This will either work, or it won't. :scared:

If you look at the first image, you can see where I've made the two strap stocks, short section and long section, and I've glued small, pointed pieces of leather to the upper, lug end of each strap stock. The purpose of these small leather pieces is to add weight -- a "padded section" -- to the underside of the ostrich cover. This image shows them glued to the strap stocks, but not yet contoured with the Dremmel sanding drum.

Image #2 shows the two strap stocks with their padding glued in place and their ostrich covers nearby.

Image #3 shows me sculpting the edges, sides and top of the padding leather in order to transition smoothly from the edge of the strap and create a gently mounded profile.

Image #4 shows what the sculpted padding looks like before it's been glued and covered by its ostrich cover

Image #5 shows the long strap stock flipped over and about to have its layer of kangaroo glued to its underside.

Image #6 shows the long strap stock with it's 'roo glued on and about to receive its ostrich cover. After the ostrich is glued on, the completed sandwich (outer layer of ostrich, 2-inner layers of cowhide, inner layer of kangaroo) will have my plastic template laid on top of it for cutting to final shape. The template and an X-acto knife produce the notches that will fit Timbo's case, perfectly, plus ensure a gentle taper to his 22mm Lum-tec deployant clasp.

Image #7 shows the glued up strap with its edges sanded, stained, but not yet burnished. The strap is sitting inside the lugs of my case, but not yet mounted on the watch. You can sort of see the nicely contoured upper section of the strap, but it will need to be stitched in order to maintain that contour, indefinitely. Timbo has chosen black thread, and I think we're going to be doing a similar perimeter stitch to the first one I did...

Long way to go on this strap, but, "So far, no fatalities!" :biggrin:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like a promising start, Ladd! What is the thickness of this strap at the tail and how does it compare in thickness to ostrich strap v1.0?

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a promising start, Ladd! What is the thickness of this strap at the tail and how does it compare in thickness to ostrich strap v1.0?
It's just a little under I/8" at the tail. I also started the taper to 22mm closer to the top of the strap, just past the padded part, so I think the effect is a lot less bulky than the first strap. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Thanks for posting Ladd, I'm enjoying all those pictures and descriptions of your works in process.

Keep 'em coming :thumbup1:

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
WOW, this one is going to be my favorite !
Great job, Ladd and thanks for educating us as to what goes into making
of a nice 'hand made strap.

:thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW, this one is going to be my favorite !
Great job, Ladd and thanks for educating us as to what goes into making
of a nice 'hand made strap.

:thumbup1:
Thank you, WF1.

This is a fun and rewarding pastime, but nobody should conclude that my method is the right way to make a padded exotic strap. It's not something I copied from a pro, (unlike everything else I could get my hands on). I just used what I had at hand, but Timbo's strap hasn't come apart yet, despite my son bending and twisting it every which way... I appreciate the friendly audience. Thanks, everybody, for following along. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
WOW, WOW, WOW!! :001_tt1: :001_wub:

Will you be my Valentine, Ladd?? :lol:

This is OUTSTANDING work...and the bloke continually downplays his skills!

I agree....it's great to see the step-by-step process; that will make this strap very special for me :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Timbo's Strap Ready for Stitching!

Okay, Timbo,

We're ready to stitch, and that means any last minute decisions about thread color, stitching pattern, keeper number or size, etc., have to be made now. Just want to be sure, 'cause there's no going back after the I savage this sucker with needle and thread. :scared:

The way things stand now: 1) Black Irish linen thread, perimeter stitch, but open at the lug ends. Two keepers (8mm) one stitched in and one floater. The strap has light padding by the lugs, sort of like the Panatime strap that John reviewed, earlier today. I like it better padded, I think. :thumbup1:

Here's three quick shots of the strap...

Image #1 shows the lug holes in my V1, which are distinctively different from the way your case was bored. It almost looks like your single lug hole is exactly between the two that Chris bored in my case; he wanted to provide for both a strap and a bracelet on my V1. It looks like he "split the difference" and centered the single hole in your lugs between my two. That was my assumption, anyway...

Because I have to go by my V1, what I did was make the notches very slightly deeper on your strap, plus I enlarged the springbar holes in the ends of the strap's two sections. I tried to give you a little more play, without making the distance from the lugs to the notches too great. I'm anxious about it because a loose notched strap -- distance between notches and case, or strap shoulders and case -- is gonna look like crap.

Image #2 shows the subtle padding, which I REALLY like a lot! :wink:

Image #3 just shows the strap flipped on its back while the sealer dries on the 'roo!

Check it out, and see if you still want to stitch it the same way. :001_smile:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Lookin' good!

The way things stand now: 1) Black Irish linen thread, perimeter stitch, but open at the lug ends. Two keepers (8mm) one stitched in and one floater. The strap has light padding by the lugs, sort of like the Panatime strap that John reviewed, earlier today. I like it better padded, I think......

Because I have to go by my V1, what I did was make the notches very slightly deeper on your strap, plus I enlarged the springbar holes in the ends of the strap's two sections. I tried to give you a little more play, without making the distance from the lugs to the notches too great. I'm anxious about it because a loose notched strap -- distance between notches and case, or strap shoulders and case -- is gonna look like crap.
Thanks Ladd...I agree with all of that -- black Irish linen, matches my black Irish heritage :blush:

Perimeter stitch, open at the lug ends (don't fence me in! :001_rolleyes:)

Two 8mm keepers, one fixed, one floating -- just avoid them becoming too bulky is all I ask :thumbup1:

I agree my spring bar holes look to be right between the standard V's as indicated in your pic...v.annoying, but it sound like you've worked around that the best you can. I agree -- loose will look crap, and I suspect too tight will be a PITA.

This is V E R Y cool!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Cherry Sweet! :001_tt1:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deployant Clasp Decision

Hey, Tim,

I've had some business obligations that've caused me a delay, but I'm hoping to have some time to wrap up this strap over the weekend. The way things stand now, the strap's two sections are glued up, stained and ready to stitch. I have not cut the notch in the short end -- the one designed to accommodate the tang of a conventional buckle -- because you mentioned your intention to use your 22mm Lum-Tec deployant buckle.

After receiving, yesterday, my Lum-Tec deployant -- and fitting it to my prototype ostrich/'roo strap -- I would suggest you revisit your decision. The Lum-Tec deployant is very nice, but it suffers somewhat from the "one-size-fits-many" (not all) syndrome: It didn't fit the strap I made particularly well, though the OEM Lum-Tec tang-style buckle fits it perfectly.

The style of the Lum-Tec deployant is an accommodation that's intended to make it fit a wide range of straps. The result is that it's probably going to fit a lot of straps, but not particularly well, unless the strap is "customized" to fit the Lum-Tec deployant, specifically. You should reread the thread "Lum-Tec 22mm Deployant Buckles -- Available NOW!" and pay close attention to the observations/comments of customers who've received their buckles.

One comment -- a comment that mirrored my own experience with the clasp -- had to do with the fact that the Lum-Tec deployant adds, considerably, to the length of the long side of the strap. I punch most of my straps with five holes, since this is pleasing visually, and since I aim to fit the strap to the middle hole (for my customer), and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to miss on the sizing by more than a hole or two. So, five holes is normally plenty.

When I fitted the Lum-Tec deployant to my ostrich strap -- the strap that had fit me perfectly on the Lum-Tec OEM buckle in the "middle hole" (of five!) -- the strap was still very loose when mounted on the Lum-Tec deployant in the 5th hole (hole nearest to the watch case). Since I have a full complement of strap-making tools, it's not a big deal, normally, to punch an extra hole (or two!), but on this strap -- in order to correct the problem -- I'm going to have to "adjust" the taper on the sides of the strap, which won't be easy. In other words, if I intended to wear this deployand on this strap, I'd need to reduce the width of the strap past the point where it begins to broaden (from 22mm to 28mm) up to its notches. Since it's already perimeter stitched, that'd be difficult to do without some noticable concessions...

On your new strap, it's not an issue becaue the strap hasn't been stitched, and I can reshape it any way you want me to. I just want to make sure you're wedded to the deployant idea -- this Lum-Tec deployant idea -- before I finish the strap.

If you're going to wear the strap on the Lum-Tec deployant, exclusively, I'm not going to cut the traditional notch (for the tang) in the buckle end of the strap. Also, I will punch much smaller holes in the long side of the strap becaue the "pin" of the deployant has a lot of slack when inserted in the holes meant to accommodate the standard Lum-Tec buckle, and I will punch the five holes about 20mm higher -- up into the shoulder area -- of the strap, instead of in the middle where the holes are normally punched.

As noted in Chris' introductory thread (mentioned above), customers mentioned the issue of the deployant clasp -- after installation -- not remaining fixed to the long side of the strap. This is partly a design concession, and it's partly a matter of the "normal" holes being way too big for the "pin" of the deployant.

This isn't meant to convey a sense that the Lum-Tec deployant is inferior -- I actually like mine a lot -- but it is meant to convey that, once "customized" to fit the deployant, you're not giong to be able to wear it on a conventional buckle again. The hole spacing will be wrong; the holes will be too small; there won't be a notch for the tang of the buckle (yadda, yadda, yadda).

So it's a case of, "Speak now, or forever hold your peace!" :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ladd

I've had a long, hard think about this. I do wish to wear this strap exclusively on a deployment. As we've discussed, it is a challenge to find a deploy (other than LT) which accommodates a thick strap. Yes, I know they exist but it's very much trial and error. I do know the LT will work, which is what I'll use, and you've identified other issues; my main concern is the effect of the taper. Will a more pronounced 28mm -- 22mm taper spoil the look?

Can you please post a pattern drawing to show me what that looks like? I think I need to see that before making a final decision.

I'm fine regarding the other issues about the tang hole in the strap end and the different size/location of holes; I understood there'd need to be that sort of fine tuning.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Timbo's Ostrich/'Roo on Lum-Tec Deployant

Timbo,

Instead of drawing the shape of the long part of the strap, I thought I'd go ahead and mount up the LT deployant. I think it's going to be okay, since it fits my wrist snugly on the fourth hole "up the ladder," and there's an extra hole up against the padding of the strap. My wrist is also 7.5," so you should be good to go.

Several of the images show the two keepers not yet cut to length, burnished or ready to install. I'll get to them this weekend, plus do the stitching. I just wanted to put your mind at ease that the strap is going to be "okay" on the LT deployant. I'm not a deployant guy, I guess, because I like straps better on a buckle, but this is the only deployant I've ever played around with, so who knows?

One thing's FOR SURE, and that's the fact that deployants are MUCH EASIER on the leather than a tang-buckle, and this would be a $200+ strap, so why tear it up raking a buckle across the gorgeous ostrich scales, over and over again? Any nice, custom with an exotic cover should probably be mounted on a deployant, just for longevity's sake...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Looks fantastic, Ladd. When you mentioned about the taper, I had a moment of doubt, but it's looking fantastic

·
Registered
130 Posts
I haven't been too big a fan of ostrich straps but the scales on this strap and overall result look great.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finished Timbo Strap -- Recommended Changes for Next Go 'Round

Hey, Timbo,

Here's the completed strap -- The "good," the "bad" and the "ugly." (best Ennio Morricone score EVER!)

First of all, I don't think I should've done a stitched-in keeper for this strap. I think straps that are going to be used in conjunction with deployants (at least THIS deployant) don't really provide enough room -- owing to the VERY LONG throw of this clasp mechanism -- and the space required to stitch the keeper in place; one fat floating keeper would've worked easier. This works, but there's not much strap tail showing past the floating keeper, and that's because of the aforementioned problem. It's all Lum-Tec's fault, of course, and I'm pretty much perfect in every respect. :lol::lol:

I found this deployant to be really hard to put on, but that could be because I'm just not used to it, or I'm uncoordinated, or both. The strap is beautiful once you get it on the wrist and very comfortable.

I allowed some slack when I placed the notches in the strap. You can see that the shoulder of the strap sits off the watch case about 1mm, but it's snug between the lugs. It should be nice and snug on your watch, if we estimated the location of your lug bores properly. If not, you're SOL! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts