WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, I'm still on the hunt for a vintage Omega. Thoughts on this one?

Circa : 1939
Price: $725.00 USD
OMEGA - AUTOMATIC BUMPER WIND - in yellow gold top with stainless steel screw back. Original aged light cream color linen dial with gold Roman numbers and 12, 3, and 9 and gold cone shaped markers for the balance. Gold seconds hand at number six position. Gold plated 17 jewel movement caliber 342 bumperwind with incabloc shock protection. Signed dial, movement and case. 33 mm diameter. Brown leather strap.

Also, has anyone heard of Steelco watches? I found this watch but don't know if anyone can tell me about this one? Good deal? What kind of quality are they compared to something like Omega or Longines?

{links removed - images can't be inserted because of url to non-sponsor}

Dial: All original and splendidly aged in concentric band of gray and ivory. Black hands with gold crescent pointed date hand indicating the date. Date flips right at midnight as it should. Finished with a sunken second subdial.
Case: Fancy deco fluted lugs really brings out this chromed case. Back lid is stainless steel with scratches around edge, but nice overall and fits tightly. Marked 4197B.
Movement: Steelco signed movement, runs strong and winds smoothly. Recently serviced and comes with a 9-month written warranty.
Band: New black leather strap with matching stainless buckle color
Other:

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The pictures are a little small to be 100% sure, but it looks to be an original dial. I think the price is a little high as these can frequently be found between $500 and $625, but if the watch has been competently serviced it's not a horrendously bad deal. Wait for more opinions though.

Never heard of the second watch. There were hundreds and hundreds of small independent brands that went out of business from the late 50's into the 70's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pictures are a little small to be 100% sure, but it looks to be an original dial. I think the price is a little high as these can frequently be found between $500 and $625, but if the watch has been competently serviced it's not a horrendously bad deal. Wait for more opinions though.

Never heard of the second watch. There were hundreds and hundreds of small independent brands that went out of business from the late 50's into the 70's.
Great. I just sent the owner an email with questions about service history, original dial, right of refusal etc. When I hear back I'll see what he can do on price. Do you have any other questions I should be asking? Thanks!

Oh, when you say "these can be frequently found between $500-$625" where can I look? I just googled and found this antique website that sells watches. Is that what you are referring to? Thanks.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Great. I just sent the owner an email with questions about service history, original dial, right of refusal etc. When I hear back I'll see what he can do on price. Do you have any other questions I should be asking? Thanks!
Just ask if it's been properly serviced, comes with a warranty of at least 6 months (a year is better), and if you have a few days to return it after having your watchmaker inspect it.

Oh, when you say "these can be frequently found between $500-$625" where can I look?
Sales forums on watch websites, eBay, Etsy, and other similar places. Some are riskier places to deal with than others, so if you feel comfortable with the owner's answers and can get a little better price then go for it. :thumbup1:

If you've never worn a bumper, you're in for a surprise. The perimeter winding weight bangs back & forth so you really feel the watch. Bumpers are a charming character flaw. :wink:

I think I'll go put one on now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm not sure it's from the 30s, more like late 40s/50s. Dial looks good, but I think better deals are out there! :001_smile:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ask if it's been properly serviced, comes with a warranty of at least 6 months (a year is better), and if you have a few days to return it after having your watchmaker inspect it.

Sales forums on watch websites, eBay, Etsy, and other similar places. Some are riskier places to deal with than others, so if you feel comfortable with the owner's answers and can get a little better price then go for it. :thumbup1:

If you've never worn a bumper, you're in for a surprise. The perimeter winding weight bangs back & forth so you really feel the watch. Bumpers are a charming character flaw. :wink:

I think I'll go put one on now.

Never worn a bumper. Only automatic watch I've worn is my Hamilton Jazzmaster, and the Longines watch that was my grandfather's. Still haven't had time to go to the jeweler to have him open it up for me. Can you describe it a bit more for me? Is the feeling annoying or bothersome? You say you really feel the watch, I wouldn't think it would be a painful feeling? So, what exactly is it like?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
No, it isn't bothersome or painful at all. It's kinda cool. :thumbup1: My fiancée swipes my '54 Seamaster bumper 342 because she digs it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You say you really feel the watch, I wouldn't think it would be a painful feeling? So, what exactly is it like?
If the watch is oiled properly and the hidden springs are still functioning, then you should feel very little when it is on the wrist. If hold the watch in your fingers and gently rock it back and forth you'll really feel the "bump".

Now about the seller...they seem legit enough, but one of the Constellations shown on their site is has a well-known version of a fake dial and case. That alone gives me cause for concern.

If you can get the warranties that Ulackfocus mentioned, then it might not be a bad deal. Dial and movement look nice, but bigger pictures would help. One would think that a watch seller would want to have hi-res pictures on their site. Another cause for concern IMHO.

There's an old saying, "Buy the seller, not the watch". This seller makes my Spidey Senses tingle.

And not in a good way,
gatorcpa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts