WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year a friend of my father in laws gave him her deceased husbands 70's Railway Approved Accutron.
It was not working and I suggested he have it looked at here in town to see if it was salvageable.
I had forgotten all about it until this morning.
My own recent interest in these watches made me bring the subject up with him.

I asked him if he had the watch serviced.

He smiled and stated that he was to pick it up Monday morning.
Good news, until he explained that the watch repair shop was unfamiliar with this model and as they were no longer able to get parts he was advised to have it modified to run on a quartz movement. :(

They were going to gut the watch and fit a replacement movement.
I could cry. Looks like I was just too late to save it.
I have asked him to ask for the original accutron movement.
Maybe one day I can get it restored.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Maybe it will mean as much to him with a quartz movement as it would with the original but I'm glad you advised him to get the original movement so , if he or someone else eventually cares, they can restore it correctly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When my Dad gave me his 1966 218 I sent it to Bulova to have it serviced. Like an idiot, I sent it then started researching. I was horrified at what I read. Fortunately it found its way to an Accutron guy still in the company. Came back about a month later humming away and looking almost brand new.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yep, lots of stories like this around. Many of us have seen these quartz conversions being offered up on eBay as original tuning fork Accutrons. Unless the seller is knowledgeable about Accutrons, they don't have a clue they have a conversion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When Dad bequeathed his 218 to me at age 18, I got the full story on why the second hand swept instead of ticking, and to make sure to never let anyone replace the original movement. Common story from what I've heard though. Accutron's besides some of the nicer Spaceview's weren't really considered that collectible until within the last decade or so. I think during the time frame when most people quit sending them back to Bulova for servicing and then (the mid-1980's up maybe through 2000) was when a lot of the tuning-fork-stripping-for-quartz occured. People are probably more careful now. In the days before the web was commonplace, it was pretty hard at least in our area to find anyone who could do reputable Accutron service. A local jeweler sent my watch off twice in the 1990's and each time it came back running (on the original tuning fork) but always had problems that set-in again after only a couple of weeks. It took me another 15 years to find someone to finally suggest that I needed a new center wheel to deal with a timekeeping problem. Haven't had a problem since then.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
That's the problem, unless a watchmaker really knows the ins and outs of these movements, they may miss the little but important things. That's especially true of the 221 and 230 calibers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With all the melting down of gold watches, I wondered if there is any reliable record of how many Accutrons were sold as 14k or 18k watches? There was a comment on eBay that fewer than 200 sold gold watches remain. I kinda doubt that. Anyoneknow?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
That just isn't close to being true. I have about 20 of them and I'm very sure I don't have 10% of all of them considering the number that are for sale at given moment.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all the melting down of gold watches, I wondered if there is any reliable record of how many Accutrons were sold as 14k or 18k watches? There was a comment on eBay that fewer than 200 sold gold watches remain. I kinda doubt that. Anyoneknow?
Sounds like a 'wild stab in the dark' how could someone possibly come up with a statement like that?

I saw some details about a platinum accutron earlier today. Now I bet there are very few of them out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.