WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on another forum that the seiko 7s26 is made in malaysia and is not made in Japan but the Miyota (citizen) movements are. Is this a load of BS or is it true? Not that I care anyway but it's an interesting fact if it is true. And IF it is true, are all seiko movements made there too? Please fill me in so I can know for sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Seiko own and manage factories outside Japan and they have one in Malaysia is famous for the Monster and many other watches of similar value. QC standards are the same with factory standard in Japan. Low cost watches are mostly robotically made.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bullosa said:
Seiko own and manage factories outside Japan and they have one in Malaysia is famous for the Monster and many other watches of similar value. QC standards are the same with factory standard in Japan. Low cost watches are mostly robotically made.
Good info as usual :thumbup: if a watch is going to be low cost, I'd rather it be robotically built than hand built lol. But ANY mechanical watch has some hand assembly

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Daron's right Strat...Yes the 7S26 is now made in Malaysia

Thinking about this more additionally...

IIRC, the 7S26A (first produced in 1996), may have had its origins in Japan (and even that's debatable), and the bulk of it's production base seems to have been in Singapore (up until 2005), I believe. Then again, some were also produced in Malaysia in 2005, but that only included the A movement. I have consulted with what I know to be 7S-afficionados like fellow member Angelis, and others, who have had and own many 7S-based watches, and researched them quite a bit. It appears that the B variant was most likely first produced in Malaysia, in late October 2006.

Something really great about this movement is that there are so many replacement parts for it, and it is what I believe to be Seiko's most ubiquitous movement.It really is a good workhorse of a movement.
:thumbup1:

Cheers,
Jim

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poseidon-Jim said:
and thats not a bad thing at all. The people of Malaysia are very well adept to doing the type of fine craftmanship and skilled work to make the movements every bit as good as the prior country of origin IMO, there good hard working people.

The 1st 7S26A's were made in Japan, then the production moved to Singapore for the vast majority of the production life span of the 7S26 thus far, then production was moved to Malaysia which also happened to take place around the same time of the new B series 7S26 caliber, and while they have had issues with the balance spring being tangled after a jolting shock to the watch case where the spring gets tangled around the plate stud, the instances haven't been too many or mind boggling to force Seiko to redesign that integral part of the movement as of yet that we know. That actually hasn't anything to do with where the watch movement is made by the way, its a Seiko JP design flaw in my opinion which should be able to be corrected easy. I just thought I'd give a short narrative of the 7S26 to date.

Darons right on with his mentions, and I feel that the Malaysia plant is well run and puts out very high quality work that stands up to the strict QC controls as it did in Japan or Singapore, although I do prefer the prior made 7S26A movements that would have been just as good if made in Malaysia IMO.

Cheers, :thumbup1:
Jim
Good info! Now how do you feel about Miyota? I also heard they are made in china, is that true?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Good info! Now how do you feel about Miyota? I also heard they are made in china, is that true?
There are many Miyota movements too. Their high end movements are made in Japan with excellent finishing and accuracy performance. Unfortunately most of us are familiar only with their entry base movements. They are fairly reliable although not as robust as Seiko's movements. I do look forward to Citizen upgrading the basic movements to keep up with others. Orient and Seiko have introduced movements that matches Swiss ETA 2824 or 2836. So I am eager to see Citizen follow suit soon.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
IIRC, the 7S26A (first produced in 1996), may have had its origins in Japan (and even that's debatable), and the bulk of it's production base seems to have been in Singapore (up until 2005), I believe. Then again, some were also produced in Malaysia in 2005, but that only included the A movement. I have consulted with what I know to be 7S-afficionados like fellow member Angelis, and others, who have had and own many 7S-based watches, and researched them quite a bit. It appears that the B variant was most likely first produced in Malaysia, in late October 2006.

Something really great about this movement is that there are so many replacement parts for it, and it is what I believe to be Seiko's most ubiquitous movement.It really is a good workhorse of a movement.
:thumbup1:

Cheers,
Jim
Hey All, and thanks Jim for referencing our conversations on the topic. I always look at the 7S26A/B/35A/36A/B as the "little engines that could." They are true workhorses of a movement indeed. I have quite a few 7S-based Seiko watches in my collection, and I have bought and sold so many more. I have had experience with Singapore, Malaysia, and Japan 7S26A/B/35A/36A/B, and I have seen the same great robustness, and longevity across-the-board. And frankly, my oldest 7S-based watches were produced in 1997, and they are still running strong today, sans any servicing. My Malaysia 2005 Seiko SKXA33 200M automatic diver shows no differences as compared with my (same in all respects) 2002-2005 examples. I think a good rule of thumb would be to look at the longevity reports of such things, rather than country of origin.

All my best,

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
There are many Miyota movements too. Their high end movements are made in Japan with excellent finishing and accuracy performance. Unfortunately most of us are familiar only with their entry base movements. They are fairly reliable although not as robust as Seiko's movements. I do look forward to Citizen upgrading the basic movements to keep up with others. Orient and Seiko have introduced movements that matches Swiss ETA 2824 or 2836. So I am eager to see Citizen follow suit soon.
I agree with you Daron 100%. I also believe the Seikos are very robust.

All my best,

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would have to disagree with the robustness of the Miyota.
The basic 8200 series movements first came out around 1975 and there are still many of them still working just fine; check out eBay to see what I mean.

From an experience point of view; I have been in and out of the 7s26 and the 8200 calibres many, many times. Both are designed to be robust; both are designed to keep reasonably good time and both do the job well.
The two are different in a couple of respects; firstly, the 7s26 does not hand wind while the 8200 does. The 8200 configuration is for indirect seconds drive while the 7s26 is direct seconds. This means that the Miyota can exhibit the 'Miyota stutter' but you won't see that on the Seiko. This has no bearing on the time keeping capabilities of the movement; it's just a visual distraction if it happens.
The 8200 is easier to work on and service as it only has two plates while the 7s26 has several smaller plates that require more levels of assembly.

Both systems have minimal shock protection and both systems work well. The 7s26B models had a change to the balance system which introduced an annoying 'feature'; bump the watch too hard and the balance spring gets looped on the regulator pins. You never see this in the 8200. Supposedly, the new 7s26C has addressed this issue.

I rate the 7s26 and the 8200 about equal over all :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I think bullosa is speaking about the Robustness of the higher quality Japan made

Miyota calibers.

One things for sure, I know that the Seiko's are robust in most of all of the vintage calibers I've had as well as my 1st 7S26A. One of the most robust movements I've seen is my brothers 15 yr old seiko 7002-7039 17 jewel automatic diver, that watch has never been serviced and he wears it almost every day & she runs with in 7 seconds accuracy in 30 hrs and has a strong power reserve even today. (A Good one for sure) And I haven't even started talking about the exceptional longlasting 6306 & 6309 calibers yet.

Strat, I don't think any Chinese made movement could ever come close IMO...

Cheers, :biggrin:
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts