WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We talked about the CEO Shirt in the blog. It is a slight upgrade over this trend...but there are no real winners.

·
Registered
554 Posts
don't ask me how or why i know this- i sort of wish i didn't- but, a lot of fashion hipsters take after a guy named gianni agnelli. he was the owner of maserati, or some other italian car company. very swanky fellow. he did this with his watch. note to readers- i am not in any way endorsing this practice. the only way i would do this is if i had become brain damaged and flipping up my cuff would be too problematic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That Is The Trend Of Late...

DIG ME!

Anyone who would wear their watch like that would put 22" chrome rims on a Toyota Corolla and wear feathers to their minister's funeral.

Why don't they just extend the band and wear it around their head like a miner's lamp? No on would miss it then.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Er, no. Gianni Agnelli was heir to the family that owned FIAT and all their companies, was a worldwide style icon, and he owned cars that are worth millions today. F40 with sequential gearbox, 365P three seater across (waaay before the McLaren F1), 375 America Speciale, and many, many others. His lovers included famous beauties such as Rita Hayworth, Anita Ekberg, Jackie O, and Pamela Harriman.

Redirect Notice
...., but today he's just an old geezer trying to be relevant (Dig Me). owned some nice cars, no doubt, but somewhat of a trust fund tool, IMO. Heir speak volumes. Wealth does not create taste or class. If it did, Donald Trump would do something about his hair. One of the wealthiest people in the Chicago area used to drive an Excalibur, a phony 30's era classic car on a 70's Chevy Caprice chassis..:glare: Taste? Class? I think not.

Times change, but standards must remain. http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...tbnw=129&start=16&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:16

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to wear my Timex that way....

IN THE 80'S
That must have looked really neat with the sleeves of your Members Only jacket pushed halfway up your arms ala Robert Downey Jr. in Wierd Science.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That must have looked really neat with the sleeves of your Members Only jacket pushed halfway up your arms ala Robert Downey Jr. in Wierd Science.
Actually, it was the one way to keep them from rolling up- the shirts at that time did it naturally!

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
ulackfocus said:
They even have shirts with cut outs in the cuffs to see your watch. :blink: It is a trend - for d-bags who think it's cool to show-off their watch. :sneaky2:
But you need a zenith, or U-boat, or Breitling

·
Registered
598 Posts
vtec2006 said:
...., but today he's just an old geezer trying to be relevant (Dig Me). owned some nice cars, no doubt, but somewhat of a trust fund tool, IMO. Heir speak volumes. Wealth does not create taste or class. If it did, Donald Trump would do something about his hair. One of the wealthiest people in the Chicago area used to drive an Excalibur, a phony 30's era classic car on a 70's Chevy Caprice chassis..:glare: Taste? Class? I think not.

Times change, but standards must remain. http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1024&bih=623&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=ebuwazTOSbe1qM:&imgrefurl=http://wot.motortrend.com/luca-di-montezemolo-will-resign-as-fiats-chairman-will-still-lead-ferrari-8334.html&docid=mPqGVRfny-zDpM&imgurl=http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2010/04/33109269.jpeg&w=750&h=1200&ei=9-siT8vrKMvkggfJ8pXjCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=114&vpy=203&dur=188&hovh=284&hovw=177&tx=89&ty=253&sig=111491873867053570299&page=2&tbnh=173&tbnw=129&start=16&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:16
Actually today he's dead. Vtec, I get that you are committed to your dismissive sarcasm here but Agnelli was no tool. He was CEO of fiat and not in a token way either. Where style is concerned, he was a living embodiment of sprezzatura, the italian notion of pulling difficult stuff off but making it look easy, almost an afterthought. Regarding the watch over sleeve issue, he with his grand flair could pull it off, much as Hayek senior could do multiple watches with panache. I don't think many - if any - of the rest of us can.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts