WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've decided that my next purchase needs to be a speedy pro.
Here's the dillema: There are entirely too many models and versions to chose from. I know they have all been described and discussed extensivelly, but it's hot here in brazil and I'm sweating, and the internet is becoming more and more confusing.

Basically I've narrowed it down to the exibition back versions but still have some doubts.

1. Is the movement inside the 3572.50 the same exact as the 3573.50 or are there slight decoration variations?

2. Is the movement inside the moon-phase model as nicely decorated?

3. Does the dial look different looking thru a hesalite crystal and a sapphire crystal?

Thanks in advance and nice pictures would be greatly apreciated!

Fred

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Gee Fred

I'm sorry it's a trifle uncomfortable in Brz. I don't handle heat well myself. :eek:hmy:

To answer your Q's :-

1. Is the movement inside the 3572.50 the same exact as the 3573.50 or are there slight decoration variations?

Earlier movement in the 3572.50 has YG plating and the later versions are the same ones used in the 3573.50, being the rhodium-plated c1863

2. Is the movement inside the moon-phase model as nicely decorated?
Yes rhodium-plated with Geneva waves

3. Does the dial look different looking thru a hesalite crystal and a sapphire crystal?
OK have a look at the OMEGALand Photo Contest pictures and see if you can spot the difference. Hint - sapphire as you know offers a crystal clear view. This was the deciding factor for me in seeking my first Speedy Pro. I'm making a collection of both types.

Here are some pictures as requested

Is there another watch that has a greater history in the service of man?

WISh you well in your hunt and enjoy your weekend :thumbup1:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Hey Fred, the Speedy is a great watch...:thumbup1:

You won't be disappointed, I promise you that..;)

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hey GJ

Are we suppose to figure out which watch(es) are running?

or indeed have stoopped.......

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Have a nice day now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers guys, really helpful. Now, any chance someone point me to a website, or describe to me exactly what is done to this movement?

At first glance one can see the lack of a column wheel. Technical reason for this?

It appears that along with the geneva stripes, the movement parts receive angling and polishing on the edges. Is this correct?
How is this for an everyday watch? I'm leaning towards the hesalite version.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
The lume's fine Mr Ru06. Of course there is a lot more of the material on a 2254.50 for instance but worn under my jumper, it is still visible in a dark room.

My 2c and experience with the 3573.50.

Have a nice day now :001_smile:

ZIN

M

·
0 Posts
I believe the changes were undertaken by Omega for two reasons - increased production of the Speedy Pro and to make the movement more robust. :thumbup1:

MWW

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
The Geneva waves are only on the display back units Fred which makes sense since on a steel-backed version, you won't be able to see the movement anyway.

The display back version currently utillises the cal 1863 as my picture shows and has an extra jewel along with the metal brake. The c861 uses a Delryn brake as Chuck's article explains.

Earlier model 3572.50s had a YG-plated movement. Rhodium as you know is the most expensive of al precious metals, indeed much more expensive than gold or platinum and is very resistant to corrosion.

Be well now pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:):)

Fred,

I've narrowed my choice down to the 3572 and the 3573.

I don't think the hesalite is a problem to wear everyday like some have said,
I'm prepared to polish it out every now and then like I do my clasps, but the "clarity" of the 73 is appealing, so I'm still on the fence:blink:

good luck,

diver88:):)

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Fred

You can wear these watches daily and by night too :thumbup1: They are very appealing I have to say though you'd expect that. When I placed a Speedy for the first time on my wrist back in Sep 06, I knew this was the watch for me.

Either hesalite or sapphire will serve you well. I personally prefer the clarity of the sapphire crystal which draws my eye to the dial. The display back almost gives you two watches of course:thumbup:

Have a nice day now:001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hey guys so I walked into an AD today and I took a close look at the Speedy and even tried it on. They only had the moon watch replicas in stock (the ones with the Hesalite crtstal) and I must say I was very unimpressed with this crystal. It looks like plastic (the salesperson said it actually is). I wasn't aware that Hesalite was actually a type of pastic.. is this true? Anyway, as I was saying, I was unimpressed with this type of "crystal" in that it just kind of looked like plastic even before I touched the watch. I don't know, it just seems that it almost looks a little cheap (for lack of a better word) with this plastic crystal... I could even make out minor hairline scratches on it... and these watches are brand new! I was also surprised that they didn't have any of the models with the sapphire crystals... also as you all know, these particular ones come with the display back, which I think I would also love. So, IMHO, you can keep the "replica" model with the Hesalite... give me sapphire!

·
Registered
142 Posts
You're not alone ru06, as many modern enthusiasts are turned off by 'plastic' crystals. However, I rather like them.

Keep in mind that sapphire and mineral crystals are relatively new to wristwatches, and that the majority of watches up until the 1970s were all equipped with acrylic plastic crystals. Even the mighty Rolex Submariner and of course, the legendary Omega Seamaster and Speedmaster lines came off the line with high quality 'plastic'. Watch some old movies, or modern productions set in previous decades (such as 'Mad Men' or 'Goodfellas') and you'll spot numerous watches with acrylic crystals. They all have the signature 'elevated profile'.

I only own one watch with an acrylic crystal (a vintage non-functional Hamilton Masterpiece) and I admit it took me a while to warm up to it because we're so spoiled by the clarity and elegance of sapphire. However, the plastic grew on me.

Not to be picky, but the sapphire is the 'replica' model.

:001_tt2: Sorry Zin. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:):)

Mr 06,

yes the Hesalite is an acrylic crystal. that was a requirement by the space program I believe although I'm sure they were acrylic before being "flight qualified" by NASA.

I am suprised you could readily see the difference.

recently I visited a local AD and looked closely at them and other than knowing that a 3570.50 is hesalite and a 3573.50 is sapphire... I couldn't have told the difference. if I saw them side by side, maybe I could but they didn't have a 3573.50 in stock. the hesalite versions I saw were amazingly clear, thats why I said I was suprised you easily noticed..hmmmm I need to see them together I think.

like I said, I'm still on the fence since I saw nothing about the Hesalite that turned me off. I just need to try on a sapphire, before I know for sure:thumbup1:

well at least you know you are looking for a 3573.50 sapphire sandwich:thumbup:

diver88:):)

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
IMHO you can tell the difference some of the time. The clarity of the sapphire crystal is something to behold. If you look at the pictures in the OMEGALand Photo Contest I think you'll be able to pick out the differences on most of the shots. Theis aka Mr CopyCat makes some nice pix on which it's very difficult, in fact impossible to tell the difference. When examining both watches, the crystal clear nature of the sapphire really draws your eye to the dial. That's what I like about it and one of the reasons why I chose the 3573.50 as my first Speedy Pro. Mind you I do want to have the hesalite in my collection as well. You see Mr Ru06, the original came with hesalite. There wasn't sapphire in those days and NASA, fearing that sapphire could shatter, an occurrence which would leave shards of crystals in a zero-gravity environment, specified hesalite for the watch. Nowadays of course it no longer matters....... unless of course you're going walkabout in space. :biggrin::biggrin:

While hesalite does pick up scratches, these can be polished out. Some enthusiasts of the hesalite point to its' appearance of warmth which modern lovers of the Speedy Pro first sight back in Sep 06, I would almost have certainly gone for the standard hesalite model. I waited till I researched the catalog more and discovered my first love in watches, the 3573.50 :thumbup1:

Have a nice day now pals :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hello again to all you Speedy owners! I have a quick question: I notice that the subdial for the minutes goes from 1-30. I was wondering, how do you know if it has been say 1 hour and 45 minutes? Will the hour subdial read in between the 1 and 2 hour position and then the minutes subdial will read 15? Just a little confused as to how this works. :mellow: Thanks for your help! :thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts