WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the odds of finding this 15-0 size case in yellow GF? The last mechanical my dad ever wore was a yellow gold version of the one pictured. Unfortunately two of the soldered lugs on his original case are broken off. I got this rose tone on the Bay thinking it was yellow (bad photography and description), but for what I paid for it and how well it runs, I kept it. However yellow is the color I need. Is there a web site or company I can contact?

Attachments

Reactions: RJ007

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
What are the odds of finding this 15-0 size case in yellow GF? The last mechanical my dad ever wore was a yellow gold version of the one pictured. Unfortunately two of the soldered lugs on his original case are broken off. I got this rose tone on the Bay thinking it was yellow (bad photography and description), but for what I paid for it and how well it runs, I kept it. However yellow is the color I need. Is there a web site or company I can contact?
Nice find!
Are you looking to make this watch Yellow?
Let us know. There are places that can dip it if need be.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Excellent, an Elgin quest. Doug will be pleased to have company. That may be the nicest 15/0 design I've seen. Never come across it on Ebay before. The rose vs yellow gold problem surprises me. I know of only a couple of models that Elgin produced in both colors. Unlike Bulova, Elgin was not prolific wih rose gold cases. The advantage you have is the certainty that the yellow one exists. The only advice I can give is be patient. Usually just when I dispare of finding an uncommon model I will see 5 in one week. That's how I found my Clubman and my Knight/El Dorado. I agree that your rose gold watch is worth keeping and will look great together with your dad's watch when you finally find a case. Joel

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Victor,

A lot of my card members that own jewelery shops and watch places use electro plating to convert. I don't know specific names atm, but search it on google and you'll find the process and companies that do it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Given the beauty and relative scarcity of rose gold vintage Elgins, I would definitely not replate this one. I think it would be worth it to keep looking for the proper yellow gold model. The dial was probably also a different color, since Elgin like other watch companies tended to put rose dials with rose gold cases.

I can't tell you the odds of finding it, but I can echo Joel's experience - you'll go months without seeing a particular model on Ebay, then suddenly they come out of the woodwork! There's a watch from the 50s with hinged lugs that I saw only once or twice over the last year or so, but in the last 3 weeks there have been at least 6 of them!

In your place, I'd keep this watch for what it is, and keep looking for the yellow one.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I wonder if exposure on the swamp and forums such as this don't lead to the phenomenon of "them coming out of the woodwork"?

V-tec, maybe the odds just increased that you will see more, since you just confirmed that this particular model is somewhat rare to find in the 'usual places'. Some owners of this watch may start digging and try to capitalize on that info.

I know from personal experience, I bought a watch in a lot two years ago that I didn't even like until I saw it in person.

So, I went about looking for one with a dial in a bit better shape. Wouldn't you know it took more than 8 months before I saw another one, lost the bidding on it, and another came up that I got less than a week later. Since then, I have seen 3 more sell, and it was a watch that Elgin only made 2000 of the particular movement that was in it. I have wondered ever since if the sellers saw others sell and decided to put theirs up for sale.

In collecting, of any sort, patience, is indeed a virtue.:wink:

Reactions: Valtyr

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I wonder if exposure on the swamp and forums such as this don't lead to the phenomenon of "them coming out of the woodwork"?
I'm pretty sure that's a big part of it, especially if the first one out of the gate sells for a good price. That probably gets collectors who have one like it to thinking more about selling - "Oh, hey! I have one of those!"

There was a time last year when, shortly after I bought my Lord Elgin 'Celestial' (WGF Horizon Look), about 6 of them appeared on Ebay over the course of the next month. At one point there were 3 up at the same time, but now I haven't seen one in the last 6 months.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

V-tec, maybe the odds just increased that you will see more, since you just confirmed that this particular model is somewhat rare to find in the 'usual places'. Some owners of this watch may start digging and try to capitalize on that info.

I know from personal experience, I bought a watch in a lot two years ago that I didn't even like until I saw it in person.

So, I went about looking for one with a dial in a bit better shape. Wouldn't you know it took more than 8 months before I saw another one, lost the bidding on it, and another came up that I got less than a week later. Since then, I have seen 3 more sell, and it was a watch that Elgin only made 2000 of the particular movement that was in it. I have wondered ever since if the sellers saw others sell and decided to put theirs up for sale.

In collecting, of any sort, patience, is indeed a virtue.:wink:
I've seen that happen with older Campagnolo bicycle components. I actually wait for a "frenzy" to sell something plus I list it as a non-auction sale and usually get more than the auction sellers do. I could tell you how to do that, but then I'd have to kill you. :lol:

However, IMO, the case I'm looking for is not for a watch of any significance. It's just a watch bought by a third shift hospital nurse as a birthday gift to her machinist husband. If I knew the rest of the story it was probably because he needed it but was willing to do without for his family. That only makes it valuable to me. In fact, anyone who finds a YGF case for me, is welcome to the rose case.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! It's very close, but missing one castellation step around the crystal. The lugs and back are the same. So close. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grade 674, Keystone J Boss case, #30140. A serial # X-143574 puts this around 1940.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts