WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched about 10 minutes of the Merm today and based on what was said about large watches now coming out of the Croton shop, I have formulated a theory about WHY watches are getting so large. Here goes.

Women are now buying and wearing men's watches in unprecedented numbers in the last few years. Men are threatened and subconsciously are not going to give up without a fight so to prove their masculinity (and superiority), they are buying even larger and heavier watches to maintain their watch-wearing advantage.:eek:hmy:

Thank you.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Interesting theory; but, I am not worried about it. I am not wearing a 44mm watch or any other astronomical timepiece just b/c women are starting to wear larger watches.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
So, enormous watches are for women and insecure men?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I'm secure enough in my masculinity to stick with 42mm or less.:lol:

The larger watches look fine a big guys but on smaller guys it often looks like you're a kid who borrowed your dad's watch.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Looks like a valid theory, worth some exploration.

If I may posit an alternative, somewhat darker, hypothosis...

Gents, I feel that our eyes are getting bad, and we need to justify our new $10,000 47mm Panerai with the big visible numbers.
"Hey, big is cool now"
"Naah...yer just blind, ya old coot":laugh:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts

Gents, I feel that our eyes are getting bad, and we need to justify our new $10,000 47mm Panerai with the big visible numbers.
"Hey, big is cool now"
Exactly!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I think the media has a lot to do with the size of watches. You see them on movie stars, newscasters, in commercials, magazine ads, etc.
Women claim size doesn't matter, but maybe they're subconsciously telling us something different by the large watches they wear.:blushing::001_wub::w00t::confused1::sneaky2:

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts

"Hey, big is cool now"
OR...

Maybe the people buying big watches don't realize they're big because their eyes are getting bad.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The very large watches are just a trend that will fade and in time, those who wear them will look silly.

Then, they will just take up space in watch boxes that will be pulled out occasionally to show the grandkids what people wore in the name of fashion before they were born.

They are the equivalent of platform shoes and Nehru jackets.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I watched about 10 minutes of the Merm today and based on what was said about large watches now coming out of the Croton shop, I have formulated a theory about WHY watches are getting so large. Here goes.

Women are now buying and wearing men's watches in unprecedented numbers in the last few years. Men are threatened and subconsciously are not going to give up without a fight so to prove their masculinity (and superiority), they are buying even larger and heavier watches to maintain their watch-wearing advantage.:eek:hmy:

Thank you.

This is actually the reason and it really all started in Italy with the women there especially in fashion conscious Milan about five years ago or so.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The very large watches are just a trend that will fade and in time, those who wear them will look silly.

Then, they will just take up space in watch boxes that will be pulled out occasionally to show the grandkids what people wore in the name of fashion before they were born.

They are the equivalent of platform shoes and Nehru jackets.
I have strong disgreements with this assessment. I don't think larger watches are worn "in the name of fashion" by all. Nor do I think I will ever look "silly" in a large watch. I am no fashion plate by any stretch, however larger case sizes have always looked much better on me than a small 40mm watch. Regardless of with way the "trends" go, I will always prefer and wear a larger timepiece.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I saw a woman with what looked to be a tt Sub, definitly a man's watch. It looked rediculous on her. Women should wear women's watches, men should not wear anything bigger than 50 mm and leave the ginormous, diamond-encrusted Gucci's to the hiphoppers and pro jocks who have to show off to their fans :thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts