WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all

I stumbled across an old 1981 catalog with prices yesterday which stated that a 145.022 which is a Speedy Pro of that time cost GBP294 on a bracelet with its' strap sibling at GBP282.

Bearing in mind that the exchange rate was 0.49764 back then, this sets the price of the Speedy Pro at $590. It is now $3,000. Hence the cost of the watch has gone up 5 fold ( 5.07 to be precise ) in 26 years. In the UK we are less fortunate in that we are now paying 5.7x more for the same watch with its' MSRP of GBP1,675. The price of a Honda Accord though it has since increased in size since its' early days has gone up over 6x in the same period.

A newly-serviced 145.022 at a pre-loved dealer in the UK can be anywhere around GBP1650. Compare this with a new 3570.50 at GBP1,675, which would you rather have?

Which brings me to another comparison. The old Honda Accord would have long been scrapped but there are many 145.022s around, dating over a decade back from 1981 :thumbup:

Oh and guys, will you please, please, please get the dollar back up again. The oil prices are killing me :eek:

Just a thought or two now that I have risen ;)

Y'all be well pals and have a good day now

ZIN

NB - Thumbnail image courtesy of Steve W at old-omegas.com - Thanks Steve

Attachments

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Mr. Houston: You mentioned oil. In the US, gas is approximately $3.00 per gallon or about .75 a quart. How much is it per liter in the UK right now?

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Amigo

I hate to think it, let alone say it but it is a " sock it to everyone " GBP1.029 to 1.049 per liter.

Taking the lower value, with the exchange rate at approx 2.03 and given that 1 US gallon equates 3.78xxx liters, the gallon equivalent price is $7.94

Shocking, isn't it!!!!:eek:

I'd like to know who to blame for this :mad::cursing:

Be well now pal

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It cost me £63 to fill up my diesel car earlier today. I nearly cried. £1.059 a litre. And that was the cheapest in town at a local Supermarket.:crying:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
In 1981, a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, with its 48k of RAM and virtually no hard drive cost £200. The laptop I'm currently using, which has 1024MB of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive cost about £500. It's a funny ol' world isn't it :laugh:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too true Blue.

My first calculator, a Bowmar 8-digit, four-function with small red LEDs was a shade under £30 in 1975. What's that in today's terms?

Cheerio amigos

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that calculator in today's money would be an easy £400.

Can you imagine that? :eek:

Be well now pal

ZIN

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
I checked, and GBP294 would make GBP780 today... So we could say that prices of a Speedmaster, more or less doubled over the last 25 years... :sad:

About the oil prices... Consider this... For each 1000 Chinese residents, there are 21 cars... In the US, there are 774 cars for each 1000 Americans. The higher prices we see today is only a small sign of things to come IMO...

And it isn't only oil... Last year, China consumed 36% of the worlds steal production, 30% of the worlds coal production and 55% of all cement...

Sorry pal, I can't give you good news... But on a positive note, I know it ain't a Bentley, but you could always consider driving one of these :D There is a link with the Swatch Group, so we even could put an Omega symbol on the front...

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks pal but there are limits..... :001_rolleyes:

Mind you, they are exempt from congestion charge - the scourge of our radical mayor.

Be seein' ya pal

ZIN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts