motif which was so common
in coffee tables, ashtrays, and jukeboxes
of the era. The design was
meant to dramatically underscore the
new and innovative technology inside
the case. Even the crown made
a statement: it was obviously too
small to be used for winding."

Source: The Watch of the Future by Rene Rondeau, updated 4th ed.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
It is a....

love or hate affair with the Ventura.......a must have today however, in any savvy WIS collection :wink:

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, great addition to my bookmark file. I have read elsewhere that Arbib was contracted with Hamilton to make x number of designs of all types and that they used only 1 or 2% of them and when his contract was complete, off he went.

I don't think anyone realized what iconic work he did for the company. I guess true art is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It wasn't a very warm relationship and at the end it has been said that there were thousands of drawings of watch designs that he did that have disappeared. Can you imagine in todays watch "clone" universe what some of those designs would be worth today!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
The ultimate Hamilton Ventura:

Solid 18K rose gold and as sumptuous as it looks. These were made exclusively for export to South America. To date, only 6 have been reported, though I'm sure there must be more yet to be found in Brazil, where most were originally sold.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In Europe and South America 14K gold was not considered up to jewelry standards, so they insisted on 18K, which Hamilton only rarely used in the US. Consequently Venturas (and some other Electrics) were made in 18K yellow gold for export to Europe, and 18K rose gold for Central and South America, where that color was more popular. These 18K Electrics were not offered for sale in the US.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The red second hand appears somewhat randomly. I've never found any pattern for when/why/where these were used.

The last 18K rose Ventura to appear on the market sold for $18K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts