WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new set of twins: Tell me what you think

Both in NOS Accuquartz cases. Both need SS crowns - one on the way. Dials & hands exactly alike and in mint condition. Left is a true Accuquartz, right is a quartz conversion. Notice the difference in the day/date wheels. NOS Accuquartz band with Bulova signed buckle on the way.

I posted about the quartz conversion watch in a recent thread. A few days ago I found a true Accuquartz mvt. on The Bay with the exact same dial & hands. Listed as running condition unknown because correct battery not available. Cased the mvt., installed a battery and it hummed but no second hand sweep. Installed the stem/crown per service manual, pushed in the crown and the second hand started to move. Movement looks very clean but will be serviced in the future. Running well. Regulation might need a tweak but want to double check with my watchmaker on this caliber mvt. because of the quartz crystal tuning capacitor assembly. I do have the 224 Tech Bulletin. The usual regulators on the tuning fork are balancers in the Accuquartz movement and are only adjusted so that the tuning forks vibrate in close harmony with the frequency of the quartz crystal. Fun, huh?!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now you have me wanting one too!
You should add one to your collection. I just love spending other folk's money! :biggrin: Actually, if patient, you can find some nice ones for less than the usual price of 214s and 218s. Couple now with boxes. As usual, some folks list at a ridiculously high price.

Even the way I built up this last one, I still have some money invested: $31 for mvt + S&H, $20+ for NOS case and $20 for another NOS leather band and buckle. NOS Accuquartz branded leather bands pop up on The Bay from time to time at a reasonable price since they are usually wider at the lug ends (19-20 mm) than most 214/218 case bands and most folks don't seem to be searching for one. Funny, there was more bidding activity on the quartz conversion mvt. & dial, thus a higher sale price, than on the true Accuquartz mvt. & dial. Although, I have seen the true Accuquartz mvts. in the past go for more than I just paid. I really lucked out that it is a functioning mvt. with a pristine dial & hands for just $26! Actually, most of the Accutrons I have purchased that were listed as "function unknown" have worked when a new battery was installed. And, after reading Bulova's own recommendations of when to service these mvts. and that there really are no significant wear points, I don't feel so bad about keeping a battery installed until I send them for service.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Now that was a fun exercise and I'm very impressed with the amount of money for which you were able to do it. You did some careful shopping.
I'm kinda like SAM2 except that I have some Accuquartz watches but it would be fun to have one of the conversions. Another thing to add to the list. How is that accuracy of that conversion movement ?
My experience with non running Accutrons has been similar to yours. I have put batteries into several of them and they took off running but then they went into the line to be serviced.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is that accuracy of that conversion movement ?

My experience with non running Accutrons has been similar to yours. I have put batteries into several of them and they took off running but then they went into the line to be serviced.
The quartz mvt. accuracy is very good. The mvt. has a pot screw to regulate the crystal - like most all older quartz mvts. I have been tweaking it am down to 2-3 secs. slow in the past week - very acceptable for me. Clockwise to speed up, counter-clockwise to slow - very sensitive adjustment.

Yes, the new Accuquartz will go into the "to be serviced" rotation but, as I said above, I'm not too concerned about damage. My 218 caliber Service Manual says that the teeth on the index wheel are very hard to damage - one of the concerns others have expressed. Not saying I would abuse a clearly filthy and/or really gummed up mvt., just that these old buggers are really pretty durable.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Kinda off the track again but I know that Accutrons are not really all that fragile. My first one was purchased in 1974 and was worn continuously until 1992 and was accurate the whole time. I had it serviced in 2007 and it is running happily away on my wrist right now.
I will note that it was once cut off of my arm by EMT's who were working on getting me out of a car with the Jaws of Life. Pretty tough watch !
It's nice to see somebody paying attention to the Accuquartz watches, they are great watches and a little overlooked.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will note that it was once cut off of my arm by EMT's who were working on getting me out of a car with the Jaws of Life. Pretty tough watch !

It's nice to see somebody paying attention to the Accuquartz watches, they are great watches and a little overlooked.
Wow, glad you made it through all that safely!

Yeah, like I said some time ago, I have developed a fondness for them and you can find some for good prices. Although, a couple of sellers now listing are out of their mind with the starting price - even for SS versions. One guy has a nice NOS SS N0 case-only listed for $195 and it's not a rare style. I've given him some counseling. I wouldn't pay more than $25-$50 for either a nice Accuquartz case or mvt. w/mint dial & hands. As I've said, you can even find NOS Accuquartz signed bands for $20-$25. Just got one in the mail today - black, real lizard w/Bulova signed buckle.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Reactions: accutronredux

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a very careful examination by me and excellent research by SAM2, the caliber of the quartz mvt. in my watch has been discovered. It's an ESA 536 121 quartz mvt. SAM2 sent me a couple links to other watches having the same mvt: a Heuer and a CWC Military watch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Oliver

I think the dials look very nice on your twin watches, Golden Metalic going on and along with the Diamond bet them watches are real pretty the way the light shines off of them..

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the dials look very nice on your twin watches, Golden Metalic going on and along with the Diamond bet them watches are real pretty the way the light shines off of them..
Thanks! Yes, the gold tone is subdued and pretty does look good in the sunlight.

BTW, my wife grew up in Balto. City and I grew up in SW Balto. Co.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Oliver I grew up in the Reisterstown Owings mills area.
Wow, spent a lot of time in that area. After moving from SW Balto. Co. in '69, I settled outside of Hampstead in Carroll Co. Moved to West, by God (Almost heaven), Virginia 10 years ago. Still think MD is a neat state but couldn't stand the politicians always having their hands in my pockets and legislating what I have to believe.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats Cool Oliver I like it here in Maryland but I dont know why they call it Charm city ask your wife that sometime..Ha ha
Good question! :lol: Balto. has always had some neat things about it but over the decades the neat things became outweighed by the not so neat things.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
MY twins aren't as nice as OliverB's twins are but they have a cousin, or something, now.

The one on the left is an intact Accuquartz, the one in the middle is a quartz conversion of an Accuquartz and the one on the right is a 1975 Electric, not quartz, Caravelle. The Caravelle doesn't say Bulova anywhere but it is my understanding that they were Bulova's economy line.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
MY twins aren't as nice as OliverB's twins are but they have a cousin, or something, now.

The one on the left is an intact Accuquartz, the one in the middle is a quartz conversion of an Accuquartz and the one on the right is a 1975 Electric, not quartz, Caravelle. The Caravelle doesn't say Bulova anywhere but it is my understanding that they were Bulova's economy line.
Very nice! :cool1: Same case design as my Accuquartz that was in the duel with Sam2's Precisionist. I like that dial. My watch like that does not have the quartz crystal symbol, either. Only two of mine have that symbol. Of the seven Accuquartz watches currently listed on The Bay, three have the symbol.

Yes, you are correct about the Caravelle line. I believe some of the high line mechanical Caravelle watches had pretty good movements. Slightly different and very nice case on that one, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts