WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

When back in the fall of last year, we first discussed the Swatch Group's plans for the development of Omega as a brand in the marketplace, many of us, I myself included were horrified at the culling of ADs, some of whom ( don't know the proportion ) had been selling Omegas for quite a while.

Looking at it again and seeing that The Swatch Group were not exactly axing these ADs but giving them the opportunity to sell other brands like Longines, Rado, Tissot, Hamilton etc, it probably doesn't seem as though Swatch were simply ditching these ADs since by selling these other brands, they are effectively remaining within the group's network. It is also possible, again figures not known, that due to the more competitive prices of the watches within these other brands, these ADs may not exactly lose out monetarily even if they have sadly, lost the prestige of being Omega dealers.

Am I thinking along the right lines or not... or just acting like a loyal Swatch groupie?

I think back to the interview with Nicholas Hayek which was posted a while back by fellow forum member eddiea in which NH explained that his first priority was to maintain the job security of the group's employees and thought after all that he was acting responsibility with the interests of the group at heart.

So Nicholas Hayek, good guy after all then.

I think so, even if I doubt if I'll ever adopt his particular style of wearing a watch on each wrist. NH Jr does that too. Could be a gene thing..... ;)

Y'all have a nice day pals

ZIN

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Every AD I have seen sells multiple lines. I have always seen Rolex and Omega in the same AD. Some have IWC, most do not. Patek has been in 2 of 3 I have seen as well. Is this what you mean? If so, to me, that does lose the prestige of the line, if anything, it keeps them in line with other companies.

Now, if Omega was sold next to a watch (and NOT knocking any watches here), that sells for $25 each, then that may be an issue.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hmmm...

The Swatch Group is made up of eighteen watch brands - Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte-Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Rado, Longines, Union, Tissot, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Pierre Balmain, Calvin Klein, Swatch, Flik Flak and Endura.

So, with this melting pot of brands......their decision to cut one from the herd and raise it on a pedestal to compete with independent, in-house brands (most notably Rolex) seems to be an interesting decision.

To have this many brands and not have dilution between brands, such as the use of ETA movements throughout the lines, can't help but bring down the top brands and raise up the lesser..

Doesn't it require some deception on the part of the parent to say that Omega is "better" than Longines, Hamilton, or Tissot, and therefore it will only be sold at high-end shops with a corresponding high end price, while the others can be sold at these lesser outlets......

:cool1:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Larry

The ETA 2892-A2 is modified into firstly a cal1120 then the 2500, of which the C variant is the current version so it wouldn't be fair to say there was any level of deception in particular that the brands were using the same movement. John who has written extensively on the subject replied on this forum back in the ole' house about this very point.

I think an Omega still looks that much more distinctive compared with a Tissot, Rado or whatever. It isn't a BlancpaiN, Breguet or Glashutte Original. I don't think anyone has claimed this to be so but there certainly are some high end stuff from the Omega stable and the move to full manufacture', Lemania-powered Speedy Pro apart will elevate Omega into a distinctly different class to its' other stablemates in Tissot, Rado et al. It will be perceived hopefully by the general public though this may take time, to be on a equal footing to Rolex and I am referring solely to perception here. However, Blancpain and Co being haute horology is way above both Omega or Rolex and that's something the world should have no problem recognizing. At least those in the know anyway.

Have a nice day pal

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think back to the interview with Nicholas Hayek which was posted a while back by fellow forum member eddiea in which NH explained that his first priority was to maintain the job security of the group's employees and thought after all that he was acting responsibility with the interests of the group at heart.

So Nicholas Hayek, good guy after all then.

I think so,

I'd agree. As much as I'm an Omega cheerleader / fanboy etc etc, I can totally see Nicks logic. As someone who recently worked for a huge worldwide company I thought my job was safe. But not so. I saw how some of the management tried to save peoples jobs and unfortunately, for a small few, that wasn't to be. Myself included.
So I would rather a head of an organisation think more about his staffs futures than focusing on just one brand sales, but on the whole of the brands under the Swatch Umbrella.

Well Done Mr Hayek.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Probably a more ignominious action on Omega's part is what we were told happened to John Wilson's long time and multi generation Omega AD in Ohio.

John's AD said that Omega told him that he would be required to order the models and quantity that they prescribed rather than what he might choose (Please jump in here John if I'm misstating). This is not very unusual in business, but apparently represented a change in Omega's policy to this AD. In typical and laudatory fashion the AD told Omega what they could do with that policy and proceeded to dump his Omega inventory at bargain prices.

As bad as we, as a community, feel about a good AD going down, we, in typical vulture fashion, rushed in to gobble up the goodies! :001_tongue:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts