WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......I picked this little guy ( actuall maybe not so little .....32mm including the crown, and 39mm lug tip to lug tip) .....and now I have 2 ! white and yellow gold Elgins of the 30s .....

....So should I get this one re-dialed ? ...the numbers really shine quite nicely through the ...ahem... patina...

.....Are the hands correct ? ......

....It doesn't run wound too tight, but the balance wheel spins freely when I blow gently on it ......

and from the edge ......

....and from the edge, where the 2 metal colors really show up the best.....

and of course the movement ......

so whatcha think ? .....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wouldn't change a thing. Dial looks nice. Just a clean and lube and it would be perfect........:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Neat little thing! Check the bezel and back to see if the numbers match the stamped number I see on the frame - it would mean it was definitely original, which would be a good selling point.

I agree with Rob - Don't redial it. Maybe try some Rodico to see if some of the schmutz comes off, but otherwise I'd leave it alone.

Regarding 'wound too tight' - c'mon, Sally! Ain't no such-a-thing! :biggrin:

I've gotten a number of watches recently that didn't run but had good balances, and ran great once cleaned. Some were just dirty, but others were dirty with completely shot mainsprings - like this one:

As old as that watch is (late 20s?) the mainspring may still be the original blue steel one.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Puuuuurdeeeee!

What a beauty Sal...

A little light cleaning and it should look super!

I was thinking about how nice the sides would look with the Enamel filled it!:biggrin:

G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts