WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • RELIO SOLSTICE, ALMOST PERFECT
    I reviewed this in the early part of last year. After watching the review, I have decided to revisit the
    watch primarily because my original review was pretty awful, and secondly I have had more time
    with the watch. The original review has now been deleted.
    Relio watches are designed and QC checked in house, although the parts and manufacture are
    outsourced. I believe it is the intention of the company to eventually build their own watches, but
    this may still be a way off, especially as the Solstice is their first watch.
    DIMENSIONS
    Case 38mm,
    MOVEMENT & CROWN
    The crown is signed, well knurled, and operates the movement without issue. It engages very well,
    albeit not as well as a few other watches I own.
    The engine driving the Solstice is Miyota 9039, which is dateless version of the Miyota 9015, so
    has no ghost position. It is a 4hz high beat movement that ticks away at 28,800 bph, hacks, hand
    winds, and is renowned for its reliability. These movements can be very accurate if regulated
    correctly, but in my experience their positional variance is not as good as the Swiss equivalent.
    Some people moan about the noisy uni-directional rota, personally it isn't something that bothers
    me, and to be honest, I don't hear it when the watch is being worn.
    CASE,CRYSTAL, & WATER RESISTANCE
    The watch has a domed sapphire crystal with AR coating applied to the underside. The rear crystal
    is also sapphire something most other manufacturers don't offer.
    The screw down crown and screw down case back allow Relio to give the watch a 100m water
    resistance rating, which is great for a sports watch.
    The Solstice has a unique and interestingly designed case. Not only does it fit perfectly to the wrist,
    it offers something a little different. The fixed bezel is polished, whilst the upper part of the case is
    vertically brushed. There are cut outs either of the watch which have been bead blasted. This not
    only adds interest, but prevents scratching. As mentioned, the rear exhibition case back screws
    down, and has some basic information engraved on the outside.
    DIAL, HANDSET, & LUME
    The watch comes in teal as well as this red, and in my opinion both are show stoppers. The dial its
    self is a sunburst fume. Under the twelve is a subtle logo accompanied by the word Relio printed
    below, and at the bottom SOLSTICE and automatic. The indices are long an chiselled, offering
    something I haven't seen before. Both the hands and applied indices are filled with a generous
    application of BGW9 lume, that is both bright and long lasting.
    Let's have a look at that lume.
    BRACELET
    Hands up, I am a sucker for a good H link bracelet, but this isn't a good H link bracelet, it's a great
    H link bracelet. It tapers from 20mm, down to 16mm, then back up to 18mm for the clasp. The solid
    end links are female, and fit perfectly to the case. Needless to say the remainder of the links are also
    solid, and are attached using well engineered screws. The articulation is excellent, and this bracelet
    is superbly comfortable, as comfortable as any bracelet I have worn.
  • It was originally Relio's intention to put a pressed clasp on the watch, but fortunately they saw
    sense, and ended up using a good quality clasp used on other good micro brand watches. It is fully
    milled, has six micro adjusts, two pushers, and a flip lock. It is a tad bulkier than I would have
    liked, but you can't have everything. Note to Relio, have a look at Phoibos clasps, that may be the
    way forward.
    PRICE & VALUE FOR MONEY
    The watches were released in early 2021, and were originally priced at $375. They are presently
    $399, but if you live in the UK you need to factor in duty, VAT, and postage. I actually got a better
    deal from the micro brand store, who were offering a $10 discount and free postage. It arrived
    within a week, so I was pretty impressed.
    So is the watch good value for money. The specification, unique design, and finish, would certainly
    indicate it is. However, I am surprised Relio still have some stock in early 2022. Of course, I don't
    know if this is the original stock, or they have re-stocked.
    QC ISSUES, LIKES & DISLIKES
    There were no QC issues apparent when the watch arrived.
    There really isn't much I would change about the watch, although I believe Relio missed a trick
    when they didn't make a grey or a black dial. As much as I like both their existing dials, a toned
    version may suit people with more conservative tastes.
    As far as likes go, where do I start? The dimensions, fit, and finish are absolutely bang on. The
    watch looks absolutely stunning, and the specification is fantastic for the money.
    CONCLUSION
    It's evident that this is a bespoke watch, rather than a combination of existing parts taken from the
    shelf and screwed together. It is always easy for me to tell people watch X,Y or Z is a keeper, but I
    genuinely can't imagine flipping this one. Seriously, if your looking for this type of watch, a watch
    that can be worn in all situations, and one that is unlikely to be worn by the guy next door, have a
    look at Relio. This is their first attempt, and what a marvellous attempt it is as well. I look forward
    to Relio's next offering.
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Tableware Analog watch Drinkware Clock

·
Super Moderator
16,446 Posts
I like that it runs on a Myota movement as I have them to have good out-of-the-box accuracy, and they're sturdier than all get-out. (Is that what people today refer to as "being robust")? And I LOVE the dial- it's like a poor man's MOSER & CIE.
Not thrilled about those sharp side cutouts on the case. It's going to be very easy for those living in warm climates to soon find sweaty grime building up in those depressions. About a month after every Labor Day, I have to take a soapy toothbrush to my Ball case back and clean out the summer gunk that has found its way into all the nooks and crannies.
Here's a case back quite similar to my Ball Fireman II:
Watch Motor vehicle Analog watch Font Money

See? LOTS of spots for **** to build up when you're not paying attention.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I like that it runs on a Myota movement as I have them to have good out-of-the-box accuracy, and they're sturdier than all get-out. (Is that what people today refer to as "being robust")? And I LOVE the dial- it's like a poor man's MOSER & CIE.
Not thrilled about those sharp side cutouts on the case. It's going to be very easy for those living in warm climates to soon find sweaty grime building up in those depressions. About a month after every Labor Day, I have to take a soapy toothbrush to my Ball case back and clean out the summer gunk that has found its way into all the nooks and crannies.
Here's a case back quite similar to my Ball Fireman II:
View attachment 228238
See? LOTS of spots for **** to build up when you're not paying attention.
Yes, in sweaty weather I also need a good clean:rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts