WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooops!:blushing: I just re-read the article. Technically, the watch isn't quartz, but it was a milestone in watch history.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Interesting story to Hamilton's first ELECTRIC wristwatch. They were way out ahead of the pack which ended up developing the quartz watch instead of duplicating the electric movement in the Hamilton Ventura. Maybe Hamilton would have remained in the US instead of ending up a SWISS brand.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The first electric Hamilton had a mechanical movement that was somehow wound using a battery.

It was a milestone, but I guess a little like putting a chimp into space--a real accomplishment, but not very effective, except to prove that it can be done.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The first electric Hamilton had a mechanical movement that was somehow wound using a battery.

It was a milestone, but I guess a little like putting a chimp into space--a real accomplishment, but not very effective, except to prove that it can be done.
Actually it wasn't 'wound', but rather the balance wheel was electrically driven.

I have an early hamilton with an electronic circuit which replaces the mechanical switching used in the first versions.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What goes around, comes around.

How many remember when quartz first came out it (quartz) was the thing to have? Everyone pointed out how the second hand did not sweep but ticked off second by second! If you wanted to be on top of it all you got rid of your old mechanical watch and "stepped up" to the new and accurate world of the quartz movement.

Now, all these years later it has swung back and that retched ticking of the second hand is somehow looked down upon as the lesser movement. The "in" thing is a second hand that sweeps and a mechanical movement.

Certainly personal preference moves a WIS, but for the public at large it has much to do about what is the fashion of the time.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now, all these years later it has swung back and that retched ticking of the second hand is somehow looked down upon as the lesser movement. The "in" thing is a second hand that sweeps and a mechanical movement.
Same thing with rugs. Once wall-to-wall carpeting became affordable, or commonplace, hardwood floors became the luxury item. It wasn't fashionable to build a house with handmade bricks once the more expensive machine made bricks were produced.:eek:

While modern technology does produce many conveniences for modern living, I still prefer to surround myself with hand made items and older technology.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts