WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
This doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway: That actor is wearing that watch with those clothes because he is paid to wear it.

The question that I want to ask is slightly OT: No dive watch with a tux. No braceleted watch with a tux. What is appropriate with a tux? Some say that no watch at all should be worn with a tux.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

Cheers.

P.S. This is a serious, not a sarcastic question, but if the mods would rather not have the thread go OT, then, by all means, strike the post.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Marrk, we've had this discussion a few times. Personally, a watch on a bracelet is okay for business casual which at the dressiest is a shirt and tie. IMO a watch worn with a suit or tux should ONLY have a strap of leather, croc, or gator. It should be thin and slide discreetly under a cuff and be as refined as the attire. A true dress watch is made of precious metal with a minimalist design.

For those who say "You can wear anything!" let me say how ridiculous the punk kid at one of my bank branches looks while wearing a honkin' HUGE white G-shock with his shirt and tie. The are only 2 reasons I haven't said anything: 1) he's a kid under 25 and doesn't know any better, and 2) decorum would prevent me from chastising him or even mentioning it. However, that doesn't mean I don't roll my eyes as soon as I walk out and snicker to myself. Along the "You can wear anything" lines, I guess you could do this too:

To those "wear anything" people I say go right ahead..... and others will know you're ignorant with no class instead of just wonder.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Ulack-er, you are a true saint. At some point young dumb asses have to be schooled on class. In the old Bond films, Sean had class. I couldn't believe an SS watch worn with a tux. I mean really, don't they have people to check this? How hard would it have been to get the correct band on that thing. Sheesh.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
You have to separate Bond from this "dive watch with a suit" argument. Bond was a fictional character that might have to face life threatening situations at any moment and use any getaway strategy he could, so a watch with some toughness and water resistance was required for his job. Did I mention he's a fictional character?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Thanks, ulackfocus. I was pretty certain that the subject was not a new one, but I am happy that you indulged me.

You have given an opinion, but not an argument. Others might say that a big Hublot or A-P with a tux is currently as appropriate as a plaid cumberbund or no cumberbund. Some have argued that a man should wear no watch to a formal affair because, at a formal affair, he has no need of the time.

BTW, I favor your "elegant" approach to the issue.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
You have to separate Bond from this "dive watch with a suit" argument. Bond was a fictional character that might have to face life threatening situations at any moment and use any getaway strategy he could, so a watch with some toughness and water resistance was required for his job. Did I mention he's a fictional character?
What do mean Bond is a fictional character? Are you some sort of Commie?

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
It should be thin and slide discreetly under a cuff and be as refined as the attire. A true dress watch is made of precious metal with a minimalist design.
In other words, something on the order of this Calatrava by PP

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
In other words, something on the order of this Calatrava by PP

...this is one of those topics where you can find proof to prove your point regardless of what it is. But if you look long enough you'll discover THE MAJORITY of men's fashion experts say you shouldn't wear a watch with a tux. I remember (simply because we DID have this topic before) the first place where I read the "tux / no watch" rule was in one of the pages of The Playboy Advisor.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
...this is one of those topics where you can find proof to prove your point regardless of what it is. But if you look long enough you'll discover THE MAJORITY of men's fashion experts say you shouldn't wear a watch with a tux. I remember (simply because we DID have this topic before) the first place where I read the "tux / no watch" rule was in one of the pages of The Playboy Advisor.
And since Playboy knows more about what women think about men than virtually anyone on the planet (hot women, I might add) then I'd take that as the best advice.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts

The tux / no watch rule makes some sense, if, as I said above, the reason is that a man has no need of the time at a formal event. The "thin and discreet" or "elegant and tasteful" idea also makes sense, for obvious reasons, but thin, discreet, elegant, and tasteful are relative terms.

Off the top of my head, I have seen Daniel Craig wear a Milgauss GV with a tux to a movie premier. Such a thing might have been considered gauche at the premier of, say, Dr. No.

Again, my apologies to all if I have revived an old and boring topic. (What can I say? I am an old and boring guy.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Omega put on a sneak preview of the movie 2 days before general release and my AD gave me tickets and a $20 voucher for concessions. The only Omega I own is my Speedy so that's what I wore. I did think it was cool that Omega did this although I wonder how many WIS's were actually in the crowd, or for that matter how many people even noticed Bond was wearing a watch.

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Omega put on a sneak preview of the movie 2 days before general release and my AD gave me tickets and a $20 voucher for concessions. The only Omega I own is my Speedy so that's what I wore. I did think it was cool that Omega did this although I wonder how many WIS's were actually in the crowd, or for that matter how many people even noticed Bond was wearing a watch.

View attachment 34153
This makes sense. Having the product placed in the movie is only the beginning of the Omega retail campaign. Now comes the follow-through.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The question that I want to ask is slightly OT: No dive watch with a tux. No braceleted watch with a tux. What is appropriate with a tux?
I think it's better to wear no watch than the wrong watch with a Tux. I was at a black tie event and a man was wearing a beautiful large rosegold Maurice Lacroix on a honeybrown gator and a Black Tux....I loved the watch but he looked ridiculous wearing it with a black tux IMO.

I know it goes against convention but I wear this...

and I feel it works....makes me feel like a million bucks.

Cheers,
Rob

Reactions: WatchFan1
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.