WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what are your 'must haves' in any vintage collection? I'm only just starting and I am thinking:
- vintage seamaster 300
- 30t2 movement
- a good bumper (any views on which)

And I've only just started researching the Seamasters, let alone speedies, Connies, etc!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I've never adhered to any "must have" list. If I had a dollar for every time somebody said the Speedmaster is a "must have" for any collection I'd have enough money to buy..... well, a Speedmaster. Never owned one and don't have any immediate plans to buy one. It's not on my list of wants either. Not only that, the only SM 300 I'd want is the ones assembled from NOS parts by Watchco in Australia. Total purists cringe at the thought of Watchco. In conclusion, by what you like. This is a hobby, not a mandatory project, so make it fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
start by finding an Omega Bumper. that should take you about 6 months to find one that is all authentic. Without a redone dial, original crystal, and correct crown. and if your lucky the correct buckle and band.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
start by finding an Omega Bumper. that should take you about 6 months to find one that is all authentic. Without a redone dial, original crystal, and correct crown. and if your lucky the correct buckle and band.
This would be funny if it weren't so true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy what you like

Good point. I've never found the Speedmasters aesthetically pleasing - too busy, too many complications. Much prefer the simplicity of the vintage Connies, dress SMs, etc. that's why I find the SM 300 or POs nice - they are clean and simple. I have seen the watchco ones, but my first instinct is to shy away. Why would you want one of those? Are all vintage too hard to find? Too banged up, scratched, etc?

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I have seen the watchco ones, but my first instinct is to shy away. Why would you want one of those? Are all vintage too hard to find? Too banged up, scratched, etc?
The vintage ones are too hard to find in original correct condition. The more money there is to be made, the more shenanigans are played. Lots of frankens or worse around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts