WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some testing of my new Canon 5D Mark III and wanted to check out how it's low light sensitivity handled lume shots. So I broke out my M61 and grabbed this photo:

Isn't that gorgeous? For the camera geeks out there, I used my Canon 100mm macro, with the camera set to 800 ISO at f/10 for 0.5 sec. Not exactly pushing the 5D3 envelope, but a nice photo.

In the photo above, I hit the dial with my 700 lumen flashlight, cut the light and snapped the photo. I will say that I'm a little disappointed that under normal low light viewing conditions I rarely see the blue lume second markers on the M61. I guess the brightness of the larger green luminous surfaces overpowers them?

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the photo above, I hit the dial with my 700 lumen flashlight, cut the light and snapped the photo. I will say that I'm a little disappointed that under normal low light viewing conditions I rarely see the blue lume second markers on the M61. I guess the brightness of the larger green luminous surfaces overpowers them?
I too went through a similar exercise of dousing my M61 with my torch and seeing how the 'lumination looked. Per 'low light', I'm thinking there's not a lot of visual contrast for the face dial and the blue markers for them to stand out.

Still love it. Very unique to me.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Awesome shot! After the lume dies off a bit and your eyes are adjusted to the dark the blue is almost even with the green but the green is 2-3x brighter than blue. Thats why we do the main markers green :) The minute marks are tiny as well.

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome shot! After the lume dies off a bit and your eyes are adjusted to the dark the blue is almost even with the green but the green is 2-3x brighter than blue. Thats why we do the main markers green :) The minute marks are tiny as well.
OK, so you're saying the pigmented blue lume has a reduced perceived output as compared to the "natural" green lume?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Beautiful shot. Not sure if this is entirely relevant, but for general reference:

luminova.jpg

The orange lume on my M41 outshines the blue; but as your eyes accustom to the dark, it seems to still be blue right till it's almost gone.

·
Registered
618 Posts
On top of everything else, the human eye is MUCH more sensitive to green than it is to blue. I play around with lasers, and a green laser is perceived as something like 20x as bright as a blue one of the same power (meaning that they have the same objective level of brightness)

·
Registered
136 Posts
On top of everything else, the human eye is MUCH more sensitive to green than it is to blue. I play around with lasers, and a green laser is perceived as something like 20x as bright as a blue one of the same power (meaning that they have the same objective level of brightness)
Very good point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will say that I'm a little disappointed that under normal low light viewing conditions I rarely see the blue lume second markers on the M61. I guess the brightness of the larger green luminous surfaces overpowers them?
As someone above already noted, all other variables equal, green is perceived brighter to human vision*. There was a Tritt table elsewhere with the following stats:

Green -> 100%
Yellow -> 80%
White, ice-blue -> 60%
orange -> 40%
red -> 20%
blue -> 15%

Looking at the dial on the M61, I'd say it's more of a blue than ice-blue, so you can see that there is a big difference.

Furthermore... a Watchmaker told me that only green Super LumiNova is "pure" Lume** and all other colors are mixed with non-luminous paint... . I haven't been able to verify this (indeed another watchmaker didn't agree with that statement) - but if this is true, this would be another reason for the difference in brightness... .

*Btw, most Camera sensors have a "GRGB" matrix, which means 50% green... ;)
**EDIT - just saw the Luminova Table that Heilong supplied; so much for the theory of green being the base color...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts