WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,203 Posts
I already refer to him as Dr. Elgin. :wink: Very nice collection you are assembling. The fact you do more homework than anyone I know, will advance Elgin/Lord Elgin collecting for many other collectors who happen by this forum! Not to mention the self satisfaction you can take from your work, congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

· Registered
4,542 Posts
I already refer to him as Dr. Elgin. :wink: Very nice collection you are assembling. The fact you do more homework than anyone I know, will advance Elgin/Lord Elgin collecting for many other collectors who happen by this forum! Not to mention the self satisfaction you can take from your work, congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And Stan is General Elgin:wink:

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Aw, gee, thanks, guys! There's a lot of information out there, but it's nowhere near as well organized and documented as it is for Hamilton. And to be honest, my collecting has been made easier by that fact. Cheaper, anyway - that 676 only cost me $36. Of course, it's got a crappy dial, it's not running, and 3 of the 4 case back screw holes are stripped. Hey, maybe it WASN'T such a deal.... :huh:

· Registered
1,203 Posts
GJ,

I have four or five interesting designed watches I have picked up as reclamation projects that I have to restore just be able to take before shots. :lol:

Hopefully, they will be something someday, and hopefully, I will be posting them sooner than later..........:001_unsure:

But, really, I have been amazed at how well some soiled dials clean up so, there is hope. Oh, and they are an Elgin, a Lord Elgin, a Benrus, a Waltham, and a Hamilton dating from the teens to the 50's.

I will post the oldest, an Elgin as soon as I take a couple of good pictures. :001_smile:

· Registered
1,640 Posts
That 676 dial isn't just dirty, it's also rubbed through the finish between 9:00 and 11:00, AND the applied markers at 3:00 and 9:00 are loose. 'Saliva on a Q-tip' did a little, but not enough! I think it's due for a trip to ID.

· Registered
1,203 Posts

Okay, so this isn't the oldest one. But, it is pretty cool. 14Kgf, with a 21 jewel 670 movement. Runs a little fast but, overall, in very nice condition. I think the dial shows just enough wear to look it's age.

I looked at ads for about an hour last night and didn't find a picture or, a name or model number. But, I did find another auction from a high-end seller, (that is not a sponsor, so, I am not posting a link) for a very nice example of this same watch.

In the other auction photos, I was surprised to see the triangular lines on the flared lugs were filled with black enamel. Makes for a very elegant look. I can't wait to try that with mine.

I will post some after photos when I get everything put in shape.:wink:

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Indyago, that's a Thornton

Valtyr, As of Monday (when I received a beat up, but easily fixable Lord Elgin Randall with what appears to be an original black dial, 58. Don't tell my wife!
As I said, "you are the man"! Thanks for the help!

58, that is just a minor affliction! (But, don't tell my wife I said that either!) Note to self, must sell some of my cast offs........................

· Registered
1,640 Posts
As I said, "you are the man"! Thanks for the help!
For future reference, here's how I do it:

Go to books.google.com. Type 'Elgin Watch' as the query.

A Life Magazine should appear as one of the results.

Click on it, then look in the upper left corner. Under a small picture of the cover, there's your query. Click the 'search all issues' box, and you can see all the Elgin Watch ads that were in Life magazine for about 30 years.

If you add a year to the query ('Elgin Watch 1954'), it will limit it to that year.

58, that is just a minor affliction! (But, don't tell my wife I said that either!) Note to self, must sell some of my cast offs........................
And it all started so innocently.

I wanted to buy more Hamiltons, then I noticed how much cheaper Elgins were. I start looking into them, and next thing I know, I'm picking them up at > 1/week! :scared:

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Now that I think about it, it's not 58 Elgins.

There are 5 Hamiltons, and 5 Bulovas. So it's only 48.

And two of those are women's models, so that's only 46.

6 of those are in pieces awaiting restoration, so that's only 40.

Mind you, this doesn't include the 30 or so parts movements I have....

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Hmmmm......this must be a week of twinsies ....check out how much this Waltham resembles your 23 Jewel round one .......

( this is my everyday watch, utterly reliable, and very nice looking)

· Registered
1,203 Posts
For future reference, here's how I do it:

Go to books.google.com. Type 'Elgin Watch' as the query.

A Life Magazine should appear as one of the results.

Click on it, then look in the upper left corner. Under a small picture of the cover, there's your query. Click the 'search all issues' box, and you can see all the Elgin Watch ads that were in Life magazine for about 30 years.

If you add a year to the query ('Elgin Watch 1954'), it will limit it to that year.
A magician doesn't normally give up his secrets but, I certainly appreciate you sharing your method!

That is the best I have seen to this point for Elgin watches specifically. I have been struggling looking for info and pictures since I got interested in watches.

I, to this point, have searched through the advertisement thread here on the 'American', and browsed the ebay listings for watch ads. But, this is definitely a very rich source of information! Thank you again for sharing! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Greg, maybe this should be part of a sticky or a 'new' sticky at the top of the forum?

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Ever since Stan posted about all the old Elgin stuff in the Elgin museum, I've been wondering whether they might have catalogs, like the Hamilton catalogs posted on that forum. Makes me want to go there with a scanner and a laptop, and spend a week plowing through the files!

· Registered
1,203 Posts
I agree, that does sound like a good lead.

I visited the Elgin, IL Historical Society website and it seems they use the old watch manufacturing info mainly for specific inquiries people might have about a particular watch or movement.

http://www.elginhistory.org/research_services.html

For a fee of $10 they will research your watch and send you info on it and other related topics.

Sounds like a nice resource for families trying to find out info about a family piece. But, maybe not so much for collectors looking for more broad scoping information. I am sure it provides some revenue stream for a non-profit historical society.

Maybe Stan can refresh us on his experience there?

There is mention of an Elgin National Watch Company exhibit. But, not a lot about what it contains. They do picture a couple of historically pertinent pocket watches on the site.

· Registered
4,542 Posts
A magician doesn't normally give up his secrets but, I certainly appreciate you sharing your method!

That is the best I have seen to this point for Elgin watches specifically. I have been struggling looking for info and pictures since I got interested in watches.

I, to this point, have searched through the advertisement thread here on the 'American', and browsed the ebay listings for watch ads. But, this is definitely a very rich source of information! Thank you again for sharing! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Greg, maybe this should be part of a sticky or a 'new' sticky at the top of the forum?
GREAT IDEA!

I have re-tooled the thread and merged it into 'THE LIBRARY" at the top of the Forum...

Now we can head there for resources and photos for all to refer and add to!

Nice thinking!:thumbup1:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.