WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome! I'm glad you are here.

As the seller you can do a lot to help prevent it from being destroyed. The most important thing is to not sell it at a price where destroying it would be profitable for someone. You could also choose to not sell to anyone who is apparently a scrapper, like those who have a suspicious number of high quality watch movements missing their cases for sale.

I'm sure you know by now that this is a rare and important watch, and I appreciate any special stewardship you can provide for it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I would do a search on the forum for beta 21. This thread along with others have a great source of information. There are lots of good folks on this board that can help with information about the watch. Since it is such a rare watch it will be tough to compare sold listings. Have a look at 18K Omega beta 21 watch sold listings on ebay that share that case design. I don't know how many Accuquartz beta 21 and omega beta 21 were made, and that would certainly affect valuation.
IIRC, maybe about a thousand of these by Bulova in the two case styles. Thousands of those by Omega and other high end brands. Even though it’s rare, it may not bring the same as high end brands that will be found listed on eBay, perhaps not more than melt down value unless someone with deep pockets really desires it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have recently sold an Omega Beta21. I calculated the gold value by using a webpage and also asked by local jeweller. I have sold quite some gold in the past to him and he always made a good price. The online offer was something around 3950€ he offered 4920€. I sold it for 6000€ (with Box and booklet) to prevent it from being melt. I hope you don't need the money fast. Someone will come and pay they right price.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Can anyone let me know if there is anything else I should include with the listing to get information to a collector that they would need to assess value here? Can't seem to find a way to embed video to demonstrate that it is fully functional, but but seems to be running great after a 20 year break.
One thing I might recommend is for you to take the battery out. It’s ok to install one after that many years to check for functionality but not a good idea to leave it in the watch as lubricants may now be almost 50 years old and not in good condition by now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
One thing I might recommend is for you to take the battery out. It’s ok to install one after that many years to check for functionality but not a good idea to leave it in the watch as lubricants may now be almost 50 years old and not in good condition by now.

Chris Radek, is working on one of my watches from the 50's and the below statement and photo is from Chris.

"This Bulova 10BU's oils had all turned to glue.
Nothing in this watch moved at all, because all the old oil was solidifed into glue. Here are all the wheels, still glued into the train bridge."

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Guitar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent, thank you all so much for the advice.

Have received some great messages and interest from what appear to be true collectors on the posting itself so far as well, so I am optimistic that this will end up in the right hands on Sunday!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I did it! Not a complete watch but a movement from a VERY LIMITED production 1971 Bulova Accuquartz with the Beta-21 movement. Not even guaranteed to work. Its the closest I will ever come to having one of these watches and will be a prize among my small collection of Bulova Accuquartz watches.

The total number of Beta-21 movements produced and shared among maybe 16-20 different watch companies is estimated to perhaps be as high as 11,000. Bulova bought these movement for use in their first version of an Accuquartz watch that was produced only as a 1971 model and, supposedly, only in a massive solid gold case as seen below. These rarely show up and I have only seen them in this one case style but the dial on the one I purchased appears round rather than squared and has the "Date" complication in a different location so who knows! I have seen a few of these movements over the past couple years on The Bay. By 1972 Bulova was producing their own quartz tuning fork movement known as the 224x caliber. Here is a pic of a complete 1971 Bulova Accuquartz watch with the Beta-21.

Notice the placement of the crown.

Here are the seller's pics of the movement I just purchased.

Like the Bulova produced tuning fork movements, the Beta-21 originally used a mercury battery, #313. Also, like out Accutrons, a silver oxide is the replacement for the original mercury battery. The Beta-21 movement does not have a true tuning fork like Bulova used. It uses a resonator or vibrating mass to drive the gear train. While not exactly the same as a tuning fork it is similar In function. The pic below of the resonator is from the website of Rob Berkavicius.

An electronic circuit, permanent magnet, index wheel and pawl fingers transfer the vibrating motion to rotary motion to drive the gear train. A unique design that was used into 1974 by various watch manufacturers. Variations of the movement relocated the crown to the left side and slimmed down the movement by the use of a thinner battery.

Sure would be nice to find a case to house the movement. Only chance of that would be from one of the other manufactures who used the Beta-21 but that wouldn't be easy and it must fit the dial Bulova used.
Hi - I know this is an old post but I have the same watch in operating condition but am afraid I'm using the wrong battery in it - a 357. I've been told the 344/350 or 387S but they're way too shallow. I do want to sell the watch but don't want to damage the movement by using the wrong battery. Any suggestions? Thank you. Steven Howe

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi and welcome!

If it's a beta21, the correct battery could be 301/386 or 303/357. They used both heights over time, and I don't know which is proper for the Bulova model. But if the 357 fits correctly in the clamp and isn't too tall for the case, it is probably correct.

That being said, your beta21 should not be run unless it has been serviced in the last 10 years or so. Parts for these are much rarer and MUCH more expensive than for the 214 and 218 Accutrons, and all these models can definitely damage themselves badly when running dirty/dry.

Would you share some photos of what you have please?

81 - 89 of 89 Posts