WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 4704 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen this before, joke not so funny - what's the next page where it's talking about watch lume?!?!
Well, I am sorry, then.
I still find it funny because the imperial system is really confusing, whereas the metric one is easier.
So, we have one meter, 1/1,000th of it is the millimeter (mm), 10mm = 1 centimeter (1/100th of one meter). 1,000mm = 1 meter; 1,000 meters = 1 kilometer.
For comparison, we have one inch, then 12 in = 1 ft, 3 ft = 1 yard, then 1,760 yd = 1 mile!

Honestly, which one is easier?
I understand that the imperial system is a legacy from UK, but they make almost everything different than the rest of the world (driving on the wrong side of the road, for example)

Another one, oldie but goodie

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I am sorry, then.
I still find it funny because the imperial system is really confusing, whereas the metric one is easier.
So, we have one meter, 1/1,000th of it is the millimeter (mm), 10mm = 1 centimeter (1/100th of one meter). 1,000mm = 1 meter; 1,000 meters = 1 kilometer.
For comparison, we have one inch, then 12 in = 1 ft, 3 ft = 1 yard, then 1,760 yd = 1 mile!

Honestly, which one is easier?
I understand that the imperial system is a legacy from UK, but they make almost everything different than the rest of the world (driving on the wrong side of the road, for example)

Another one, oldie but goodie

My ancient grey matter may have twisted my sense of humor but I find BOTH jokes FUNNY.....

MORE, MORE, MORE.....

Keep this ol'fart laughing..... :biggrin::biggrin:

Just a quick after thought, did you know for a quick & dirty conversion from meters to yards or viceversa that
a meter is aproximately 39 inches...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ancient grey matter may have twisted my sense of humor but I find BOTH jokes FUNNY.....

MORE, MORE, MORE.....

Keep this ol'fart laughing..... :biggrin::biggrin:

Just a quick after thought, did you know for a quick & dirty conversion from meters to yards or viceversa that
a meter is aproximately 39 inches...
Well, I lived ten years in Canada and I can find my way pretty quickly between the two systems - another quickie... one meter is three yards and roughly ten centimeters. Where I get really confused is where temperature is involved (although Canada uses Centigrades). As one of my colleagues said about his aunt who was living somewhere in the USA, "When my aunt told me "there are 80 degrees outside" I always reply: "What does it mean? Should I wear a jacket and gloves or a T-shirt is enough?"

The funny part is that Canada introduced the metric system about 50 years ago. Today you won't find many able to think in the metric system. The have the distances on the highway in km, however when one goes to buy fabric or building materials everything is in in and yds.

Here is anothe pic for you Ralph, for sure you remember the old days...

The translation is: "Trust me ladies, I am a trainer!"

and another one:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you do when you don't know your left from your right?

Yeap, you wear two Rolexes; this way you don't risk to stare at your right wrist when you want to know what time is it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks guys, I got my :laugh:, :laugh: for today; keep'em coming...

Like the guy knowing "left from right", in the old muleskinners lingo, (American English) he don't
know his "GEE from his HAW"...

When I was living in Germany and driving the highways, when approaching a detour, I always
got the notion I was being addressed personally by the word "detour" ala Deutsch....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Temps are easy
C to F - double it and add 32
F to C - halve it and minus 32

Won't be exact, but close enough and math is a lot easier

Posted from tapatalk
Something is not right here. 80F is about 27C. Using your formula would be 40-32=8

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I got my :laugh:, :laugh: for today; keep'em coming...

Like the guy knowing "left from right", in the old muleskinners lingo, (American English) he don't
know his "GEE from his HAW"...

When I was living in Germany and driving the highways, when approaching a detour, I always
got the notion I was being addressed personally by the word "detour" ala Deutsch....
Well, I'm glad to know that I made you laugh.
BTW, that guy who wears two watches is Diego Maradona.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I'm glad to know that I made you laugh.
BTW, that guy who wears two watches is Diego Maradona.
Yeah, I thought he looked familiar... Big football player/coach, sucking on a stogy... Uses two Rolex's,
one for local time and the other for what time it is back home in Argentina...

Geez, you would think he could convert the differences in his mind but just wants to display his
wealth (that he's noted for with his BIG signing contracts)...

That "trainer" sure has his hands full...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A dog is truly a man's best friend.

If you don't believe it, just try this experiment.

Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour.

When you open the trunk, who is really happy to see you?

1 - 20 of 4704 Posts