WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

Got this one in the mail today ! ! !

1916 Waltham Depollier Trench Watch with Swivel Lugs and the original Khaki Crown.

The KHAKI. REG. USA crown is in the 3 o'clock position NOT the 12 o'clock position on this model.

A pretty nice watch but this one has a little something extra............................

The sterling silver case was painted BLACK during the Great War and most of the paint is still in tact ! ! ! !

I cleaned the movement, installed a new mainspring, new glass crystal and put on a 14mm Pigskin strap.

Still working on getting the timing better though.

Not often that we see the black paint still in this wonderful condition ! ! ! !

Enjoy !

·
Banned
645 Posts
That is one smart watch.
I've seen only a few of these, and that has to be the best original I have had the luck to see. That movement looks brand-new, even though it's approaching it's Centenary!
Thanks for sharing.
Bob.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Nice Stan!!

This has dual rarities... I have seen very few with the crown in the normal position. I think I have 3 with the crown at 12, but haven't seen too many marked Khaki at 3...
The original black is SO hard to come by, as these were usually banged around and the paint would chip, flake and wear away!
This is a very incredible example of this watch for sure my friend!!! :thumbup:
G

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ! ! ! ! !

It seems that the crown at the 12 o'clock position on these Depollier Khaki Swivel Lug cases is far more common.

I too have only seen maybe 3 of them with the crown in the 3 o'clock position which is far more rare.

Here are a couple of pictures that show both versions.

12 o'clock version:

3 o'clock version:

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
sweet!!!

love the effort to preserve the original finish Stan!

Reactions: literustyfan

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sean!

This watch has obviously not been worn in very long time.

Usually when you see a painted black case like this the finish on the case back is the first thing to go, due to the oil in a persons skin.

High PH levels will destroy this type of finish.

Not to be worn on very hot days when your skin is very moist!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adam,

This is the only case that I can think of where a 3 o'clock crown is more rare than a 12' o'clock crown or an offset crown.

Simply put Depollier made far less of the 3 o'clock crown swivel lug versions or we would see many more of them floating around.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Adam,

This is the only case that I can think of where a 3 o'clock crown is more rare than a 12' o'clock crown or an offset crown.

Simply put Depollier made far less of the 3 o'clock crown swivel lug versions or we would see many more of them floating around.
That's most interesting.
Strangely it does not appeal to me as much, just as well as humidity here is exactly opposite to what you recommend .
Grat stuff Stan - really love it all
Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.