WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
As one who has been employing staff for over 15 years I cannot imagine wishing the need to have this information. It's just too " Big Brother " to me. I would venture further to say shame on Microsoft for developing it.

ZIN

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
My guess is this would be very useful for very critical fields. Beyond the ones it's already used in (pilots, NASA, firefighters) extremely critical fields, such as intelligence or national security where if the person isn't in top physical or mental condition can lead to a dangerous or disastrous situation(ex. you don't want a shuttle commander going thru a mental break-down or the person compiling the intelligence to decide what to or not to strike).

However, that would be an extremely small segment of business. For everyday businesses this would be truly alarming, risky & possible discriminatory. For the fields already using a similar monitoring, those people have gone thru extensive mental & physical tests, and are in top physical & mental conditions. To try to apply a computer program to measure 'everyday people' and their mental & physical state would be a disaster.

I'm with Steve. I love my job but would walk if this was implemented.

BTW, couldn't this type of device also be used to 'weed out' employees that have mental or physical conditions? After all, those people typically have a higher chance of costing the company money via health costs....

Corporate America has no business inside anyone's brains & body......

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm on my soapbox, so I don't intend to offend anyone.

I find the Orwellian aspects of this disturbing. It's bad enough that the idea of a RFID chip loaded national ID card is floating around, has been for about 10 years I believe, that can use GPS to track your every move, not to mention RFID chips being implanted in people, but we also have black boxes being installed in automobiles for the purpose of accident investigation (uh-huh) but also taxation (that's the ticket, pardon any pun).
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6731442-1.html

This insanity is generated by both sides of the political aisle, so please don't start laying into Bush and the Patriot Act because the ground work for this was laid during the Clinton administration. http://www.jeremiahproject.com/newworldorder/nationid.html The right does it with the intention of defending our country and protecting our people. Great idea, but even great ideas like this are at the top of the slope that everything eventually slips down. Thus the great idea turns into a weapon used against the people. The left, however, IMHO rarely uses such things in an altruistic manner. It seems they want to control you from what you eat, what you drink, whether or not you smoke, what you think and say - the whole concept of Political Correctness is right out of Orwell's 1984, and oddly enough it seemed to gain traction with the Clinton administration in the early 90s.

The point here isn't to shred the right or left, but to illustrate that both sides will have an interest in this really nifty keen new technology that Mr. Gates is blessing us with. :thumbup: Don't get me wrong, I think technology is a great thing, but as I said earlier it seems that great things will get turned against us. Now it looks like Corporate Big Brother has the opportunity to catch up and even pass Government Big Brother in the battle for the hearts and minds, well minds anyway, of the people.

I know, I know, after reading this you're beginning to wonder if this keeps ol' delta up at night. Nope, not a bit. I'm not a conspiracy nut. I just sometimes wonder what rational the person who dreams up something like this had running through his mind.

Now if you will excuse me I have to call my broker. Seems there is a company specializing in artificial intelligence called Cyberdyne Systems that has just been awarded a contract by the Pentagon to help develop the missile defense system. The project is called SkyNet, and it looks very promising, so I want to get in before the stock takes off. I'll be back...

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Excellent points Delta...

Now if you will excuse me I have to call my broker. Seems there is a company specializing in artificial intelligence called Cyberdyne Systems that has just been awarded a contract by the Pentagon to help develop the missile defense system. The project is called SkyNet, and it looks very promising, so I want to get in before the stock takes off. I'll be back...
LOL! Do you also have the date to sell it all before the dollar (and every other currency) becomes obliterated?? :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks, Scott. You raise some great points as well.

LOL! Do you also have the date to sell it all before the dollar (and every other currency) becomes obliterated?? :wink: :lol:
Well, I've consulted my Mayan calendar and the best guess I have right now is somewhere in May of 2012.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Thanks, Scott. You raise some great points as well.

Well, I've consulted my Mayan calendar and the best guess I have right now is somewhere in May of 2012.
Excellent!!!! I'm placing my sell order for then now!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Excellent!!!! I'm placing my sell order for then now!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Now don't blame me if you don't at the right time. Remember, the Mayan calendar is based on the best technology they had at the time...:biggrin:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hey guys

You both made great points and I'm especially glad Mr Delta that you sleep well at night :001_smile:

Be well pals

ZIN

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thank you, sir. Sometimes it's with one eye open, but I always sleep at night. :wink: :biggrin:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
This is sick and scary.

Anyone else read Ira Levin's chilling 1960s novel "This Perfect Day?" Many of the sci-fi things he wrote about have come to pass.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like everyone is on the same page with this one. So I have to ask, does anyone agree with this?

BTW, for the record, I echo many people's thoughts on this. I feel like I am one step away from being a lab rat.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Seems like everyone is on the same page with this one. So I have to ask, does anyone agree with this?

No.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My guess is this would be very useful for very critical fields. Beyond the ones it's already used in (pilots, NASA, firefighters) extremely critical fields, such as intelligence or national security where if the person isn't in top physical or mental condition can lead to a dangerous or disastrous situation(ex. you don't want a shuttle commander going thru a mental break-down or the person compiling the intelligence to decide what to or not to strike).

I think this is a good assessment.

There are jobs where this information would be beneficial to both the worker and the employer.

If I were in a position that placed me in physical danger, I wouldn't mind very much if the information mentioned in this article were to be monitored by someone.

I would think that the values monitored would be more or less whether or not a person is functioning within normal limits and if these values were outside normal limits, then it would be in the interest of all involved for that information to be known.

As Scott mentioned, most jobs don't really require that kind of intrusion into internal events and, in fact, could not be justified from a purely financial perspective for most jobs.

If I were an office worker, I would consider this to be an intrusion.

If I worked alone on high-voltage lines in isolated areas, I might consider it to be a God-send.

As with any new technology, there is room for abuse, which is how I'm beginning to think regarding the use of Tasers.

So, while this kind of technology is certainly cause for concern, it is not something I would just preclude out of hand.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can't wait until they assign me a number in place of my name and monitor everything i do and feel hmmmmm THX-1138 sounds good

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can't wait until they assign me a number in place of my name and monitor everything i do and feel hmmmmm THX-1138 sounds good

You're really George Lucas, aren't you!

I'll take TK241 since you called that one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You're really George Lucas, aren't you!

I'll take TK241 since you called that one.
Ah the Force is strong with this one! No i'm not George but I do enjoy a few of his films :biggrin: Just remember, when its time to escape you need to know how to drive to safely get away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts