WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I saw a watch with what I am 70% sure was an inaccurate listing, with a BIN price that would be an absolutely screaming deal if I'm right.

I dithered. I checked listings for watches that seem to be the same model, and they matched right down to the lug shape. I checked the seller's feedback. I considered whether, if I was wrong, was it a BAD deal. I dithered some more.

All this took roughly 3 minutes. Then I hit the button.

Now all I can do is wait to see whether I got my best deal ever, or simply paid a reasonable price for a watch.

Keep watching this space!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bwaaaahahahahahaaa!

It came! And yes, I DID get a deal!!

Here it is.

So, what's the big deal, you ask?

14K solid gold. The seller listed it as gold filled, with a BIN price of $59. But I recognized the model, since I specialize in post 1935 Elgins...

Now, to be fair, the bracelet that came with the watch is 12k gold filled, not solid as the ad says (it's not the same bracelet, either), but I was 80% certain the watch itself was the 14K one. I went through all the Lord Elgin listings on Ebay - about 300 - and confirmed it by finding 2 others of the same model.

The bracelet is just icing on the cake!

It's a Forstner, 12k Goldfilled, with an intriguing closure method. That was probably worth the $59 right there!

The movement is running, with low amplitude - needs cleaning, maybe also a new mainspring. The dial is dirty, but fortuitously I have a much nicer one of the same model...

Serial number dates it to 1946, and there's a 1947 inscription.

So, did I get a deal, or what?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This weekend I cleaned, lubricated, and regulated the movement, installed the nicer dial, and today it's getting its wear test...

I did have to replace the balance, having broken the staff when installing it - not sure how, esp since the broken pivot was stuck in the hole jewel, requiring me to take the cock dome off and clean both jewels again. :cursing:

But fortunately I had a spare 559 with a good balance. :001_smile:

Of course, now I DON'T have a spare anymore! :cursing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.