WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Da plane Da plane, so anyone have a Tattoo showing their love of Horology? (jus popped into my head)I personally have nada one of any kind but if I did Horolottoo my body I'd probably do a Steampunk style skeleton with the dial and hands showing the time of my birth. By the way Welcome to Fantasy Island!

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
NO!

Apologies to those who like them but I think tattoos are absolutely and totally ridiculous.

An afterthought- I'd like to change that to:

Apologies to those who have them out of a sincere belief, but I think they are totally ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
How about a digital watch in 24 hour mode at 24 hundred tattooed on the forehead with this script below it: "at all times, stupid."

I honestly don't care if I offend, but the recent trend of tattoos is based in the mistaken belief that they convey accomplishment. They have replaced the idea that invention, ingenuity, a job, or family are the signs of real success.

Do you really want to be an individual? Then being ink free would surely set you apart today.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
TO EACH HIS OWN.......I have no problem with tattoos....AS LONG as they are done properly and in my opinion not on your forehead....lol.
I have a couple, they are well placed and are mine to share if I want to, I can wear a t shirt and shorts and they are covered.
I am over 60 and the ones I have I have had since way before the silly trend ( I AGREE ABOUT THAT).....
To those that don't like em, no problem, don't get them, you don't offend me anymore then someone wearing a high end watch, showing it off trying to prove they are successful.
What does offend me are remarks that are made from either ignorance and/or stupidity.
Humans have marked their bodies with tattoos for thousands of years. These permanent designs—sometimes plain, sometimes elaborate, always personal—have served as amulets, status symbols, declarations of love, signs of religious beliefs, adornments and even forms of punishment. Joann Fletcher, research fellow in the department of archaeology at the University of York in Britain, describes the history of tattoos and their cultural significance to people around the world, from the famous " Iceman," a 5,200-year-old frozen mummy, to today’s Maori.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
TO EACH HIS OWN.......I have no problem with tattoos....AS LONG as they are done properly and in my opinion not on your forehead....lol.
I have a couple, they are well placed and are mine to share if I want to, I can wear a t shirt and shorts and they are covered.
I am over 60 and the ones I have I have had since way before the silly trend ( I AGREE ABOUT THAT).....
To those that don't like em, no problem, don't get them, you don't offend me anymore then someone wearing a high end watch, showing it off trying to prove they are successful.
What does offend me are remarks that are made from either ignorance and/or stupidity.
Humans have marked their bodies with tattoos for thousands of years. These permanent designs—sometimes plain, sometimes elaborate, always personal—have served as amulets, status symbols, declarations of love, signs of religious beliefs, adornments and even forms of punishment. Joann Fletcher, research fellow in the department of archaeology at the University of York in Britain, describes the history of tattoos and their cultural significance to people around the world, from the famous " Iceman," a 5,200-year-old frozen mummy, to today’s Maori.

Well said, although I do not own one there was a time of want.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I really dislike tattoos, it seems that anyone in the back of my cruiser handcuffed has them. And I don't care how long they've been around, people had bones through their noses years ago too. PS, my OPINION doesn't make me ignorant, old fashioned, or anything else, it's just my opinion. PS, if you want to be different, then don't get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In Hawaii many a Police Officers adorn tribal tattoos to the point of the whole arm due to their Polynesian roots and culture. I think tattoos tell the individuals story for the most part.what better way to incorporate Horology IF anybody decided on one.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I really dislike tattoos, it seems that anyone in the back of my cruiser handcuffed has them. And I don't care how long they've been around, people had bones through their noses years ago too. PS, my OPINION doesn't make me ignorant, old fashioned, or anything else, it's just my opinion. PS, if you want to be different, then don't get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I DEFINITELY RESPECT YOUR OPINION BUT THIS COMMENT WORRIES ME.."it seems that anyone in the back of my cruiser handcuffed has them. "There are several area that when you look in the back of a cruiser the handcuffed person is black or Hispanic, does that mean that those people are all criminals?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I DEFINITELY RESPECT YOUR OPINION BUT THIS COMMENT WORRIES ME.."it seems that anyone in the back of my cruiser handcuffed has them. "There are several area that when you look in the back of a cruiser the handcuffed person is black or Hispanic, does that mean that those people are all criminals?
I'm thinking you really don't respect his opinion when you throw out the "card". His point was correlation, not causation and he did not mention black, Hispanic, or Caucasian for that matter.

Just to put a fine point on it, here's a guy who tattooed the tale of his crime scene on his body. Calif. gangster's tattoo of crime scene helps solve murder - Crimesider - CBS News

That doesn't mean that all people who have tattoos are criminals, but it sure means that often a criminal lifestyle includes tattoos. I can think of better things to emulate in life.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I respect his opinion 100%, it bothers me when a Police officer says something like that, he insinuates that tattooed individuals end up in his cruiser, its known as profiling .....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.