WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have picked up on this correctly, square or rectangular watches are commonly referred to as a "tank"?

Firstly, is this correct and secondly, why?

TIA

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The way I read it, Cartier first brought out a watch known as a "tank" based on the fact that it looked like the first tanks in use at the time- having treads on the outside of the rectangular body:

1257197897_cartier-tank_1.jpg

From there, the naming convention started to be used, rightly or wrongly for rectangular or square watches.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
That explaination works for me! :thumbup1:
IMHO there are too many watches out there calling themselves "tanks". If they don't say Cartier, they're not Tanks.
You're Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Awwww. c'mon! It worked in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! :001_tt2:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That explaination works for me! :thumbup1:
IMHO there are too many watches out there calling themselves "tanks". If they don't say Cartier, they're not Tanks.
You're Welcome!
Yes Brother, this is true. Apparently Cartier actually patented the word "Tank" to describe the shape of the watch. The owner of Cartier did during WW1 name the shape after the shape of the tanks used.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Wow, what a happy accident. I was just stating my opinion on how the name "tank" is thrown around by anyone who happens to either make or sell or describe watches that have slightly oblong-shaped cases. I didn't know that Cartier actually owned the name as a descriptor for one of their watches.
Thanks for sharing that tidbit! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
560 Posts
The way I read it, Cartier first brought out a watch known as a "tank" based on the fact that it looked like the first tanks in use at the time- having treads on the outside of the rectangular body:

View attachment 29074

From there, the naming convention started to be used, rightly or wrongly for rectangular or square watches.
I learn something new every day. :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anyone tha doesn't believe it, try listiing a rectangular watch by any other maker than Cartier on eBay and use "Tank" in the description and see how fast it gets pulled. Ask me how I know:blushing:

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
How do you know?.........never mind- I'll use my imagination instead. :T

I've noticed some get away with it by spelling it T-A-N-Q which also irritates me to no end.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
how about using the word in context i.e. "my invicta russian diver is a tank of a watch"

when I first bought this wach, my now wife, always called it "the tank" granted in the world of WISdom, Tank refers to cartier, or at least they seem to both go hand in hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts