WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tag's $250k watch. Despite the big price tag, there is more than 20 ordered at this yrs Baselworld. Five years ago
if you ask whether Tag Heuer is capable of making a tourbillion, the clear answer is no. Does this watch qualify as a high end watch? Is Tag Heuer a high end watchmaker?And do you judge a high end piece by its price tag or brand or the quality of the movement?

A link to the world's fastest tourbillion :The World's Fastest Tourbillon: Tag Heuer's MikrotourbillonS - Forbes

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
When I hear "high end," I think of price. I think luxury and status. These are not the qualities I take into consideration when I purchase a watch. I focus on value for thebuck. My current preference is reliable autos with sapphire crystals. This would include Acutron, Hamilton, Seiko, etc.

I don't know if I would call Tag a high end watch company, I consider Tag to be a middle of the pack company that makes some high end watches, including the one in question. Although I don't have a Tag, my wife does and I like a lot of Tag's models. However, I would rather buy a couple Hamilton/Accutron/Revue Thommen/Seiko models than one Tag. What is your opinion of Tag?

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
When I hear "high end," I think of price... I consider Tag to be a middle of the pack company...
I'd tend to go along with that thinking as well.
Yes, they make some beautiful pieces, but I basically think of TAG as a sports watch an upper-middleclass guy can afford.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:sad:It is so expensive. I think I will never buy such an expensive wristwatch. Maybe I would see it out of the window rather buy one for myself. Watch I need is a practical and cost-effective watch, not very expensive.:mellow:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I hear "high end," I think of price. I think luxury and status. These are not the qualities I take into consideration when I purchase a watch. I focus on value for thebuck. My current preference is reliable autos with sapphire crystals. This would include Acutron, Hamilton, Seiko, etc.

I don't know if I would call Tag a high end watch company, I consider Tag to be a middle of the pack company that makes some high end watches, including the one in question. Although I don't have a Tag, my wife does and I like a lot of Tag's models. However, I would rather buy a couple Hamilton/Accutron/Revue Thommen/Seiko models than one Tag. What is your opinion of Tag?
I'm the same.:001_smile: I look at the movement first. Then the watch design n brand that offer the best value.
5 yrs ago, Tag was just a watch parts maker.(Watch casing n time recording tools)Tag, Breitling Rolex are all luxury brands for the middle working class.They are all watch parts maker tht rely on ETA to supply them with the rest of the parts to make a watch. But since ETA implement the new rules, the swiss watchmaking industry have changed. This is the new Tag Heuer we are seeing. And this is the first high end watch frm them. I expect more to come.
IMO,The high end ones are the true watchmakers. Brands like Patek, Breguet, Audemars Piguet,Lange,Blancpain, JLC and etc Those brands are only for the 5% of the world population.(The rich and famous)Maybe we can add Tag Heuer to this group soon. But have to admit, those Patek, Breguet, hublot are my grail watches. With a $250k tag, is only a dream for me.
I'm happy with my Valjoux 77** n ETA mov't brand of watches.:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Tag, Breitling Rolex are all luxury brands for the middle working class.They are all watch parts maker tht rely on ETA to supply them with the rest of the parts to make a watch.
Rolex relies on ETA? I don't think so.

Rolex is one of the few that make their own movements, even the hairsprings.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Tag has started to assert themselves both in design and innovation of their movements. I believe that they will begin to hit the same level occupied by Omega and Breitling within the next couple of years, possibly surpassing them. They are doing some really innovative stuff.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I agree TAG is doing some innovative stuff, but practically none of it has actually been for sale to the public The Mikrotimer, Mikrogirder, etc were only prototype "show pieces" - I was surprised to see the 2012 watch of the year announcement, as it had showed they were actually going to produce it.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Anyone else think that aesthetically this watch is $250 grand worth of ugly?
Based on just the picture, the watch does nothing for me aesthetically, although that can sometimes change when you actually get to see it in person. This happened to me with a rose gold Rolex Daytona on a leather strap... I never gave it a second look in pictures, but I thought it was gorgeous when I saw it in person.

Assuming they like how it looks, this one would certainly be cool for someone who collects TAGs and has a bottomless bank account.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I don't believe it exists until I can put it on my wrist. Everything else is vaporware. TAG has a much better reputation among the general public than on the watch forums so who knows what will and won't sell when/if it comes to fruition.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
TAG did the belt drive V4 a few years back. Heuer is a company with history. They did the Monaco in '69 (which, as I recall, was an auto chrono that was co-developed with Breitling and Zenith). They can do interesting, important things when they choose to. However, I wish they were a true manufacture, like JLC and Rolex. But maybe that's my prejudice. The argument has been made on the other side, as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Price go up?

Tag has started to assert themselves both in design and innovation of their movements. I believe that they will begin to hit the same level occupied by Omega and Breitling within the next couple of years, possibly surpassing them. They are doing some really innovative stuff.
Do you think their other range of watches MRP$ at stores will go up in the comin mths?:confused1:
(Grand Carrera, Link, Monaco, Aquaracer.........)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.